Windows 7

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Anyone know when the new windows will be out to buy? I sure hope it is more like XP?

Steve
Posted
Posted
Anyone know when the new windows will be out to buy? I sure hope it is more like XP?
Not anytime soon..............From Microsoft
Q. What is the expected timeline for the availability of Windows 7?A. We are currently in the planning stages for Windows 7 and expect it will take approximately 3 years to develop. The specific release date will be determined once the company meets its quality bar for release.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Not anytime soon..............From Microsoft
Q. What is the expected timeline for the availability of Windows 7?A. We are currently in the planning stages for Windows 7 and expect it will take approximately 3 years to develop. The specific release date will be determined once the company meets its quality bar for release.
Thanks Steve, I guess I will just have to learn this Vista program. :th_thsmilies-29057: :welcome:

Markham
Posted
Posted
In about a year's time, Lee, and no it won't be like XP but more like a re-hash of Vista. I love this quote from Microsoft:
The specific release date will be determined once the company meets its quality bar for release.
to which I reply "That'll be next week then!" Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
In about a year's time, Lee, and no it won't be like XP but more like a re-hash of Vista. I love this quote from Microsoft:
The specific release date will be determined once the company meets its quality bar for release.
to which I reply "That'll be next week then!" Mark
Thanks Mark, I guess I will just have to learn the Vista, since I am going to have to learn it someday anyway. :th_thsmilies-29057: I guess the only way I am going to like it and get used to it, is to get rid of my XP machines. :welcome: I keep going back to them because that is what I am used to. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

• 4 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Windows 7 to Come in Six FlavorsMicrosoft apparently has not learned from the Vista debacle, I cannot believe that they are going to be stupid enough to bring 7 out with 6 different versions. Are any of you are testing the beta version and what do you think of it and which version is it? Windows 7 Starter - for netbooks and other low power PCsWindows 7 Home Basic - aimed at emerging markets and bargain PCsWindows 7 Home Premium - the standard bearerWindows 7 Professional - adds business friendly networking featuresWindows 7 Enterprise - for big businesses, licenses sold in bulk onlyWindows 7 Ultimate - probably has all of the features of the other versions crammed into one absurdly priced package http://www.switched.com/2009/02/03/windows...4718x1201186830

Markham
Posted
Posted
Windows 7 to Come in Six FlavorsMicrosoft apparently has not learned from the Vista debacle, I cannot believe that they are going to be stupid enough to bring 7 out with 6 different versions.
Well, believe it! Microsoft is sufficiently arrogant to believe Windows 7 will be installed universally and acclaimed as the best thing since sliced bread.I have played with an early beta of Windows 7 and it is a slight reworking of Vista with added device drivers and it still, annoyingly, gets in the way. The version aimed at Netbooks and the Atom-based SSCs will, I suspect, be nothing much more than a rebadging of XP. The Home Basic version, like Vista Home Basic, won't include the updated (Aero) GUI but everything else so hated about Vista will be there.I for one won't be updating and, if I need to buy a new PC (Dear Santa, can I have a dual processor quad core Xenons with 8 GiB of memory and 2 TB hard drive please), I will try to buy "bare bones" or build my own. And install XP or Ubuntu. Or both.If you're looking for a decent operating system then you should Google "TinyXP" and you will find articles about how to create an OS that fits comfortably on a 256MiB pen-drive and without any Microsoft apps - no Explorer (Windows or IE), Outlook or any of the other largely unused and redundant "bloatware". But it's fast - boots-up in a fraction of the time taken by standard XP installations - and very stable. "File Manager", from Windows 98/ME/NT/2000 - can be used as an effective replacement for "Explorer" and Firefox and Thunderbird are tons better than their MS equivalents.MarkMark