What Problems To Expect From Windows Vista?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

What problems to expect from Windows Vista? and how do I avoid them?So far I have not had major problems, but I have been told by friends that Vista has a lot of problems. The only issue I had so far, was when I installed an older Microsoft program in my wife's laptop and the colors seem to be very different, but it works OK otherwise. On my laptop it worked OK.

Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Other than Vista being a memory pig, I really haven't found and problems with Vista. Just that they moved everything on you.

Edited by Steve

TheMason
Posted
Posted
What problems to expect from Windows Vista? and how do I avoid them?So far I have not had major problems, but I have been told by friends that Vista has a lot of problems. The only issue I had so far, was when I installed an older Microsoft program in my wife's laptop and the colors seem to be very different, but it works OK otherwise. On my laptop it worked OK.
I don't think you'll have many problems. Most of the issues with Vista have been fixed via Windows Update by now. As Steve said, it is a memory hog but other than that it's been stable and problem free for me.For the issue you mentioned with the older program, you can probably run that in compatibility mode to fix the display problem. Locate the EXE file for the program, right-click and select Properties. On the Compatibility tab you can choose which OS to use as well as some display options. Try running it in different resolution or lower color depth to make it look like you're used to seeing it.Once you get used to Vista I think you'll like it. One added note, I bought my wife a desktop system for Christmas. It has similar specs to my laptop (2.5gHz Dual Core Intel processor and 2 GB RAM) but the new desktop has XP installed and the laptop has Vista installed. The desktop is significantly faster in all tasks such as booting up, opening new programs, and rendering Web pages. I'm considering downgrading to XP on my laptop because it's cheaper to buy a copy of XP than it is to upgrade my hardware.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I don't think you'll have many problems. Most of the issues with Vista have been fixed via Windows Update by now. As Steve said, it is a memory hog but other than that it's been stable and problem free for me.For the issue you mentioned with the older program, you can probably run that in compatibility mode to fix the display problem. Locate the EXE file for the program, right-click and select Properties. On the Compatibility tab you can choose which OS to use as well as some display options. Try running it in different resolution or lower color depth to make it look like you're used to seeing it.Once you get used to Vista I think you'll like it. One added note, I bought my wife a desktop system for Christmas. It has similar specs to my laptop (2.5gHz Dual Core Intel processor and 2 GB RAM) but the new desktop has XP installed and the laptop has Vista installed. The desktop is significantly faster in all tasks such as booting up, opening new programs, and rendering Web pages. I'm considering downgrading to XP on my laptop because it's cheaper to buy a copy of XP than it is to upgrade my hardware.
Thanks, going back to XP might be a good way to go if I cannot get used to the Vista. :thumbsup: I used to laugh at my parents when they could not figure out the VCR or a computer, now I have become them. :welcome: I guess that is Gods way of paying me back. :th_thsmilies-29057:

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I'm planning on getting a new laptop and as they all have vista my plan is to format the drive a load XP.Would there be any problems in doing that?

BobNChe
Posted
Posted
I'm planning on getting a new laptop and as they all have vista my plan is to format the drive a load XP.Would there be any problems in doing that?
The only drawback is that PC manufacturers have made most of the machines produced in recent past optimized for Vista. So some of the hot key and other special functions that are built into the machine to match Vista code may not operate well, if at all.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Sounds ok then. Never use special functions anyway, just want speed and something I've gotten used to.Bob, have they changed the way chips work or is it just the software?