Christmas.. My Side Of The World..

AngelofBroden
Posted
Posted

Christmas came and went and this year was no exception.. Christmas here was quiet except when you go to the malls and supermarkets then you'd hear some Christmas songs being played.The Filipinas in Hot Springs did not get to agree if we were to have a party or not until it was too late.. so some Pinays went to another's house to celebrate Christ's birithday playing 'pares-pares! One husband was kind enough to bring their Christmas turkey to the impromptu party and most all the rest of the food was provided by the host, as stores were closed on Christmas day here. There were eating, dancing, and singing in between the card games, which was as well or the loser would probably end up leaving the party so soon! Days prior to Christmas day, as in the Philippines, a Mesa de Gallo was also celebrated daily, and an adoration hour offered by some Filipinas who are active in the church. Pretty much, that's all that happened here although there is going to be a New Year's party on the 28th. I told them there had better be singing and dancing again as I am not into card games!Anyways, for a group that insisted on calling themselves Filipino-American Association, there has been no activities that I know of that benefit the community, so I suggested that next year, we would each give a shoe box full of school supplies to the church to benefit the less fortunate. My experience in running a charity for Arkansas Children's Hospital made me want to keep the generosity that many people quite forget until Christmas time, alive for the next year, and hopefully every year thereafter. I would have loved to suggest that we do it for some kids in the Philippines, but from past experience, Filipinas here just couldn't not see eye to eye as to where to send the donations (a Cebuana wanted it sent to Cebu, somebody from Butuan wanted it sent to her place, etc., etc.) I am hoping that this shoebox project will kick in as soon as possible in time for next year's school opening, and we Pinays here in Hot Springs will give more meaning to our lives with our families here in more ways than just partying and playing 'pares-pares' or 'tongits'!

chimellie
Posted
Posted

Here in Connecticut, USA . We also went to a Filipino American Xmas charity party, most of the profits go to help the poor in the P.I. We try to go every year.There are some pics of the party in my gallery.