5,000 families target of antisquatting campaign

News Reader
Posted
Posted

At least 5,000 families in the cities of Cebu and Mandaue will lose their homes as the two city governments launch a campaign to rid their waterways of structures to prevent floods.View the full article

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

th_thholysheep.gifIf only the Philippine Government did that 50 years ago in every region of the Philippines and built unobstructed waterways, flood control channels, sewage and water treatment plants in every city, towns or provinces, they wouldn't be in the mess they are in today! SugarwareZ-034.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Yes and the key is to ensure any new structures are torn down as soon as they are built. I feel sorry for those who will be out of a home but its not just the water ways causing flooding that are a problem its the sanitary conditions that go with the living conditions. There really is no short term answer or solution to the problem of squatters.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Yes and the key is to ensure any new structures are torn down as soon as they are built. I feel sorry for those who will be out of a home but its not just the water ways causing flooding that are a problem its the sanitary conditions that go with the living conditions. There really is no short term answer or solution to the problem of squatters.
The “Urban Poor” are an important voting block. Activists and the more savvy political bosses see to it many are registered to vote for there own means. Who are the ones most likely to take money for their vote? Those family’s would remember a Mayor or Baranguy captain connected with any demolition.Squatters’ have strongly established rights and often manipulate it to steal land. Our family has issue with two squatter family’s who have taken land from them. that land is lost and there is no way to reclaim it now.It comes down to rule of law. Laws are rarely enforced. I am very sure the waterways are zoned not to be habituated so why it is this problem is repeated over and over again? Chaos.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its typical that they blame it all on the squatters. Of course the rich developers involved in 'land reclamation' have nothing to do with it. That is where they fill in the low lying or wetlands to build new developments and I see it a lot as I walk around. Of course all the filled in areas have 'environmental compliance' notices posted on site. I wonder what those cost.

Jake
Posted
Posted
The “Urban Poor” are an important voting block. Activists and the more savvy political bosses see to it many are registered to vote for there own means. Who are the ones most likely to take money for their vote? Those family’s would remember a Mayor or Baranguy captain connected with any demolition.Squatters’ have strongly established rights and often manipulate it to steal land. Our family has issue with two squatter family’s who have taken land from them. that land is lost and there is no way to reclaim it now.It comes down to rule of law. Laws are rarely enforced. I am very sure the waterways are zoned not to be habituated so why it is this problem is repeated over and over again? Chaos.
It's always frustrating to see lawful land owners like your family give up their property to "professional squatters". They are well connected and protected by city and govt officials. Often times, these squatters are paid by the property owners to move out. Same old chit........Respectfully -- Jake