Rp Power Rates Highest In Asia

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I guess THIS NEWS STORY confirms what some members including myself have been complaining about. How do you find your electric bill when compared to where you moved to the Philippines from?02/07/2011The Philippines has chalked up a new record, that of having the most expensive electricity in the whole of Asia.The new record was reported by the Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) to the power and energy committee of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) headed by Jose Alejandro during its meeting Thursday, Feb. 3.The Meralco member of the committee quoted a study made last October by the International Energy Consultants, an independent think tank which allowed the power distributor to borrow the result of the study.The study had shown that with average retail rate of electricity of 18.1 US cents per kilowatthour in the Philippines, it has eased out Japan at the top of having the most expensive electricity in Asia. As of the same month last year, electric rates in Japan were at 17.9 US centers per kilowatthour. Besides Japan, subjected to the study were the utility companies in Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Indonesia.

• 3 weeks later...
Patsada
Posted
Posted
I guess THIS NEWS STORY confirms what some members including myself have been complaining about. How do you find your electric bill when compared to where you moved to the Philippines from?02/07/2011The Philippines has chalked up a new record, that of having the most expensive electricity in the whole of Asia.The new record was reported by the Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) to the power and energy committee of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) headed by Jose Alejandro during its meeting Thursday, Feb. 3.The Meralco member of the committee quoted a study made last October by the International Energy Consultants, an independent think tank which allowed the power distributor to borrow the result of the study.The study had shown that with average retail rate of electricity of 18.1 US cents per kilowatthour in the Philippines, it has eased out Japan at the top of having the most expensive electricity in Asia. As of the same month last year, electric rates in Japan were at 17.9 US centers per kilowatthour. Besides Japan, subjected to the study were the utility companies in Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Indonesia.
highest cost and one of the most unreliable supplies - if the money we pay does not go into better service, it obviously goes somewhere else...:th_thholysheep:

Jake
Posted
Posted
highest cost and one of the most unreliable supplies - if the money we pay does not go into better service, it obviously goes somewhere else...:as-if:
Good points guys -- unfortunately there is a method to all this madness by what I call BOT (build, operate and transfer). Many powerinfrastructure are built by foreign contractors in which they train the locals and then transfer ownership. In some cases, the powerplants of all types eventually become poorly maintained, diesel fuel to run generators are either pilfered or contaminated and piss poor management under fraudulent means. A case in point: the mothballed nuclear power plant in Bataan, Luzon.Which leads me to this -- hey Patsada, what would you recommend for emergency generators sold locally there? I know you havethose wonderful cottages on Camiguin Island (about 50 miles north of CDO) to maintain and attract tourists. How do you handle thepower situation?Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
highest cost and one of the most unreliable supplies - if the money we pay does not go into better service, it obviously goes somewhere else...:as-if:
Good points guys -- unfortunately there is a method to all this madness by what I call BOT (build, operate and transfer). Many powerinfrastructure are built by foreign contractors in which they train the locals and then transfer ownership. In some cases, the powerplants of all types eventually become poorly maintained, diesel fuel to run generators are either pilfered or contaminated and piss poor management under fraudulent means. A case in point: the mothballed nuclear power plant in Bataan, Luzon.Which leads me to this -- hey Patsada, what would you recommend for emergency generators sold locally there? I know you havethose wonderful cottages on Camiguin Island (about 50 miles north of CDO) to maintain and attract tourists. How do you handle thepower situation?Respectfully -- Jake
I:as-if:It's all about their profit margins! "If the money we pay does not go into better service, it obviously goes somewhere else" because of greed! th_hu.gifth_thholysheep.gif

Patsada
Posted
Posted
Which leads me to this -- hey Patsada, what would you recommend for emergency generators sold locally there? I know you havethose wonderful cottages on Camiguin Island (about 50 miles north of CDO) to maintain and attract tourists. How do you handle thepower situation?
as for the moment, our power situation isn't too bad (not like last year prior to the elections) and we do not operate any emergency generator. Just in case, we have enough candles in the main house and in the cottages which sometimes might contribute to a romantic candle light evening.......:as-if: