Easiest bank to work with

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Hi. You asked: What is the best/easiest bank to work with?A couple of my friends are US retirees and they have their SS checks deposited in US dollars into Metrobank, here in Cebu. Then they can take out their money in US $100 bill which are very easy to exchange for a good rate.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Hi. You asked: What is the best/easiest bank to work with? A couple of my friends are US retirees and they have their SS checks deposited in US dollars into Metrobank, here in Cebu. Then they can take out their money in US $100 bill which are very easy to exchange for a good rate.
I would recommend Bank of the Philippine islands (BPI) to anyone residing here! I've been banking with them for 12 years now and have never had any problems with them. I would also advise that one keep their pensions and personal accounts in their home land or U.S. accounts. Read up more about direct deposits to banks here in the Philippines (links below), if one is determined to do so, because it's a personal matter of choice depending on one's needs! http://www.philippin...p?showtopic=148http://www.philippin...hp?showforum=20
  • Thanks 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome aboard Ike,With all due respect, please allow me to assume that you are a wounded warrior from the 'Nam days. Your personal sacrifice is very much appreciated and should never be forgotten. My good buddy Art (USAF puke) comments above contains a wealth of information and experience regarding banking services in the Philippines. His proposal of keeping your monthly deposits (military pensions, SS benefits) in the US banking system issound advice. I would like to believe that the US banking system is much more stable than the Philippine banks. You wouldnever know if the Philippine government might "nationalize" your dollar account someday.Respectfully -- Jake (USN ret E-9)

Edited by Jake
correct sentence structure

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Hi. You asked: What is the best/easiest bank to work with? A couple of my friends are US retirees and they have their SS checks deposited in US dollars into Metrobank, here in Cebu. Then they can take out their money in US $100 bill which are very easy to exchange for a good rate.
The only drawback in having one's U.S. Government pensions direct deposited directly into a Philippine bank account is that you can only avail their passbook type of an account only in the recipient's name (joint accounts are not allowed with direct deposit with passbook type accts) and you don't have ATM or internet access with a passbook account!

• 3 weeks later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I use BPI as i can make deposits anywhere there is a BPI , they also have a 24 hour atm that accepts deposits. the BILL PAY is very convenient..it was very easy to open this account. very little stress compared to BDO

Steve
Posted
Posted

On our visit last year, the Mrs and I opened an account with BDO. Went smoothly and no regrets so far. BPI was on the list of a possible bank as well.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
On our visit last year, the Mrs and I opened an account with BDO. Went smoothly and no regrets so far. BPI was on the list of a possible bank as well.
Yes! BDO is easy to work with, but watch out for their numerous service fees or charges on everything under the sun! We've been with BPI for 12 years now and it's like having a free banking system, if you have been reading my previous posts you'll see why that is!