New Taxi Fares Make A Big Difference

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I was amazed today and the increase in actual costs for a short taxi trip. I had to run to the Bank of Commerce today on Osmena circle to make a deposit for a friend, and the taxi I took there was using the old meter, so it cost me p40 with some traffic, which is the old rate and would have been less if there was no traffic, but on the way back I got a newer taxi with the new meter and the cost was p65 with no traffic, and we are only talking about a one mile run to and from our condo. Then tonight on the way to Ayala with a little traffic the cost with an older taxi and old meter was p45 and then on the way back we ended up with a newer taxi meter and with heavy traffic the cost was p97 which is the most we ever paid for a taxi to or from Ayala, so these things are getting more expensive but still inexpensive when compared to the US. Also on the way from the airport to our condo after arriving late this morning, the yellow cab meter was reading p260 upon getting to our condo, but at the airport the taxi manager wanted us to pay an extra p200 because we had 4 suitcases and I rejected his comments and told him we live here and are not tourists and that I would pay the meter and then I told the driver once we got in, that I would pay meter but would tip him nicely instead because I wanted to, and not because they wanted to force me to, and that was what I did, and he ended up with a big smile on his face because he knew that we were not tourists, and that I could have just paid the meter. To be honest I feel that the yellow taxi drivers should be given a decent tip because even with their higher rates they cannot pick up a fare on the way back to the airport, which to me is a raw deal, so what they get is basically all they will get until they get back online at the airport and hopefully get another fish. Anyway that is just me and white cabs before the increase used to cost us from P160 to P180 depending on the time of day and amount of traffic. All quoted prices were before tip and just what the meter was reading.

United Army
Posted
Posted

Yes, these new taxi rates do make a big difference, this is surprising me somewhat. We went from Talisay to visit my wifes parents in Lapu-Lapu and round trip costs close to P500...ouch!

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)

When did the fares increase? Was it a 'government' ruling?

Edited by roy2cebu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
When did the fares increase? Was it a 'government' ruling?
Jan 15th but not all the taxis have the new meters yet. The new meters give receipts. I took a taxi to SM yesterday and one back and both had the old meter. I was hoping to compare but instead got the lower rate both times. biggrin.gifLTFRB approves taxi fare increase Effective January 15, the flag down rate shall be P40, up by P10 from the current rate. This is good for the first 500 meters.The rate for the succeeding 300 meters traveled after the first half kilometer will also increase by P1 to P3.50.