Skycable

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Well if you have been reading my posts then you know I am quite upset with PLDT internet this year since it keeps going out on me, but a tech is supposed to come this afternoon to check the lines in our condo building to see if he can find what is causing the problem. Since I do not have much faith in them getting it fixed (I hope I am wrong) I have been looking for other options and below is one which might be a good choice with 1.5 mbps for p999 and then get a 15% discount off of our cable bill to boot. Below is their list of plans. Anyone using Sky Broadband that can tell us if it works decent or has the same issues? SKYBROADBAND

post-40-0-33791300-1297478523_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-60539600-1297478682_thumb.jpg

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Before you make the plunge, I suggest you talk to Lars. I believe he posted on another forum, (if memory serves), to say that he had tried it and it did not live up to his expectations. If I am wrong you will have had a pleasant conversation with Lars, if I am remembering correctly then you will save a bunch of money.The problems with ISP in Cebu are legendary but from all the local gossip I hear, PDLT is often the best option so sometimes the grass in not greener. Use care.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Well if you have been reading my posts then you know I am quite upset with PLDT internet this year since it keeps going out on me, but a tech is supposed to come this afternoon to check the lines in our condo building to see if he can find what is causing the problem. Since I do not have much faith in them getting it fixed (I hope I am wrong) I have been looking for other options and below is one which might be a good choice with 1.5 mbps for p999 and then get a 15% discount off of our cable bill to boot. Below is their list of plans. Anyone using Sky Broadband that can tell us if it works decent or has the same issues? SKYBROADBAND
Why would you want a 1.5 mbps when in the other thread you complained about the same speed being so slowwwwwwwwww. 89.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Why would you want a 1.5 mbps when in the other thread you complained about the same speed being so slowwwwwwwwww. 89.gif
Because I am cheap and now that they fixed it, it is so much faster that it might spoil me for when we return to the US. A man has to have his priorities, and mine are my wife and food, so the internet speed comes way down at the bottom. Oh, the repair guy also changed my ip address and put me on a much faster ip address that he claims will respond much quicker and it does seem to be doing that, so far that is.

United Army
Posted
Posted

I have been using Smart Bro for over a year now, used it in Talamban and now in Talisay. I do not know what the mpbs is but its fast enough for me and have had no problems with it. I pay P999 per month.

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
Anyone using Sky Broadband that can tell us if it works decent or has the same issues? SKYBROADBAND
Hi Lee, and welcome to Cebu again! Glad it seemed to work out for you. I've used Sky Broadband, PLDT and now Globe as internet providers. Sky Broadband started out very good, great speed for downloading torrents etc. Almost never down. After a few month, the quality of the line seem to get worse. Even VOIP struggled at times, and streaming sports was almost impossible even if I had 12MB.Here outside Toledo, I have a 2MB Globe and is more pleased with that than Sky Broadband. It hasn't been down since I got it 8-9 months ago, I can stream sports without buffering, and VOIP works like a charm - well almost. Their policy to block one of the lines here does require an IT guru to go around it. Skype works excellent. You can check the quality of your line at www.pingtest.net. Here's my result, although I usually get A.34500771.pngI believe Sky Broadband has a free 14-day trial, you could test and see how it works out.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have been using Smart Bro for over a year now, used it in Talamban and now in Talisay. I do not know what the mpbs is but its fast enough for me and have had no problems with it. I pay P999 per month.
You can go to speedtest.net and check the speed or click HERE and click on the Gold star to get started. If most people are only doing emails and some forums, then any speed is good enough for them and the slow speeds are usually good enough for me, as long as I am actually getting the speeds I am supposed to get.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Anyone using Sky Broadband that can tell us if it works decent or has the same issues? SKYBROADBAND
Hi Lee, and welcome to Cebu again! Glad it seemed to work out for you. I've used Sky Broadband, PLDT and now Globe as internet providers. Sky Broadband started out very good, great speed for downloading torrents etc. Almost never down. After a few month, the quality of the line seem to get worse. Even VOIP struggled at times, and streaming sports was almost impossible even if I had 12MB.Here outside Toledo, I have a 2MB Globe and is more pleased with that than Sky Broadband. It hasn't been down since I got it 8-9 months ago, I can stream sports without buffering, and VOIP works like a charm - well almost. Their policy to block one of the lines here does require an IT guru to go around it. Skype works excellent. You can check the quality of your line at www.pingtest.net. Here's my result, although I usually get A.34500771.pngI believe Sky Broadband has a free 14-day trial, you could test and see how it works out.
Thank you Lars and we will be looking forward to getting together with you when you happen to be in the city or we get out your way. As you can see the test says my service sucks but it is now good enough that I can at least put up with it. The tech said the connection is within standard at our unit and that he got perfect connection speed at the box entering our building, so the building probably used cheap wiring. My next move is to talk to the building engineer this week to complain and see if it gets me anywhere. sad.gif34501041.png

United Army
Posted
Posted

OK I did the test here are the results:Speedtest.netdownload 1.08upload 0.25ping 727Pingtest.netLine Quality CPing 159Jitter 9Packet Loss 0That was fun....

• 4 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My wife called again and we finally got someone at Sky and they said that it is not available to us in our condo development, so I am out of luck, and now looking for another provider option.