Wow! We Got Fox News Now

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Hard to believe but it is part of the standard digital line up on our cable TV. Finally a few channels that I can watch without having to use a slingbox. AddEmoticons04230.gif

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Hard to believe but it is part of the standard digital line up on our cable TV. Finally a few channels that I can watch without having to use a slingbox. AddEmoticons04230.gif
Hi Lee, How do you find the picture quality of the slingbox. What does it cost you

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Lee, How do you find the picture quality of the slingbox. What does it cost you
Luckily the Fox news I am talking about is on the digital cable that SkyCable now provides and the picture quality is excellent, yet it does annoy me when it goes in between a picture and say a commercial, or anytime that the screen goes black because it then has a pulsing flashing sort of screen which I have to look away from. As for the Slingbox, it cost about $180 to $300 to buy and then has to be hooked up back in the country you wish to watch programs from, and on a cable or satellite system, so you would need a relative or friend who has one of those program packages and who also has a wifi in their home, so that the box can transmit the programs to you and the cost would be what you would be willing to donate to them for the service plus the cost of the unit. One thing that does cost them over the price of the programming that they probably have already would be another digital receiver so the slingbox can be on the output of that so you would be able to watch all channels, otherwise you would only be able to see the standard non digital channels. Of course also the little extra electric that the box will use. As for quality, I have found that they are better or at least equal to standard cable TV quality provided here in Cebu City. In my case I am lucky enough to have a couple of friends who offered to provide it free. One friend has cable and the other has satellite dish service and have offered us access to their systems that they rarely use themselves during the times that we would be watching the programming, so the cable one has worked out great for the last few years but recently he has moved and is hopefully in the process of hooking his back up so we can watch it again shortly, so I will probably go to my second friend with the dish and see what might be involved in my watching his system this year since he offered just before we left. So for costs, for me it has been taking them and their wives out for a nice dinner but for others the costs will be up to what they can negotiate with the person who is willing to provide them with the access, because IMO it would be cost prohibitive to pay for cable or a satellite dish service monthly in another country in order to watch the programming here.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Luckily the Fox news I am talking about is on the digital cable that SkyCable now provides and the picture quality is excellent, yet it does annoy me when it goes in between a picture and say a commercial, or anytime that the screen goes black because it then has a pulsing flashing sort of screen which I have to look away from. As for the Slingbox, it cost about $180 to $300 to buy and then has to be hooked up back in the country you wish to watch programs from, and on a cable or satellite system, so you would need a relative or friend who has one of those program packages and who also has a wifi in their home, so that the box can transmit the programs to you and the cost would be what you would be willing to donate to them for the service plus the cost of the unit. One thing that does cost them over the price of the programming that they probably have already would be another digital receiver so the slingbox can be on the output of that so you would be able to watch all channels, otherwise you would only be able to see the standard non digital channels. Of course also the little extra electric that the box will use. As for quality, I have found that they are better or at least equal to standard cable TV quality provided here in Cebu City. In my case I am lucky enough to have a couple of friends who offered to provide it free. One friend has cable and the other has satellite dish service and have offered us access to their systems that they rarely use themselves during the times that we would be watching the programming, so the cable one has worked out great for the last few years but recently he has moved and is hopefully in the process of hooking his back up so we can watch it again shortly, so I will probably go to my second friend with the dish and see what might be involved in my watching his system this year since he offered just before we left. So for costs, for me it has been taking them and their wives out for a nice dinner but for others the costs will be up to what they can negotiate with the person who is willing to provide them with the access, because IMO it would be cost prohibitive to pay for cable or a satellite dish service monthly in another country in order to watch the programming here.
I am watching it on a 20" monitor right now and hope to soon switch to a 40" lcd to see if the quality changes. What speed internet do you have?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I can only assume you will be moving the TV to the balcony so I can watch it from the comfort of mine next month. laugh.gifth_thanx.gifcheersty.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am watching it on a 20" monitor right now and hope to soon switch to a 40" lcd to see if the quality changes. What speed internet do you have?
I bought a monitor cable and hook my laptop to our 32 inch Samsung flat screen TV and the picture quality is better on the TV than on my laptop.
I can only assume you will be moving the TV to the balcony so I can watch it from the comfort of mine next month. laugh.gifth_thanx.gifcheersty.gif
If you do not have a TV up there then we have an extra small 20 inch TV I can lend you, and if you bring about 100 feet of cable then I can tie in to our cable and you can watch basic cable yourself, or you and Ann will have to come down here to watch the digital cable on our larger TV. 36_6_3[1].gif