A Strategic Pad

Pete McKenna
Posted
Posted

I'm contemplating an indefinate relocation in June-ish. My accomodation needs are fairly simple (being a 22 year old bachelor accustomed to rugged living), but there are a few things that I'd like to get out of this and maybe you good expats can help me find them. First, a reliable internet connection is ESSENTIAL (work). Then, I want to find a location convenient to both one of those lovely beaches and some good nightlife. Does anyone have an idea about where (as is, which region) I could find these things? Many thanks.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I'm contemplating an indefinate relocation in June-ish. My accomodation needs are fairly simple (being a 22 year old bachelor accustomed to rugged living), but there are a few things that I'd like to get out of this and maybe you good expats can help me find them. First, a reliable internet connection is ESSENTIAL (work). Then, I want to find a location convenient to both one of those lovely beaches and some good nightlife. Does anyone have an idea about where (as is, which region) I could find these things? Many thanks.
Tagbilaran City Bohol would meet your needs in so far as a nice large beach is nearby the city is fairly large but congested. Near or in Cebu City could be a choice but access to nice beaches are somewhat lacking.I’m not sure what your definition of night life is. You will need a very secure condo or apartment if you have computer items and that could be a little harder to find.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Contemplating an indefinate relocation in June. From where? Indefinite? How's that possible at age 22 in a 3rd world country? And why the Philippines? Do you know anybody here? My accomodation needs are fairly simple being a 22 year old bachelor accustomed to rugged living.A reliable internet connection is ESSENTIAL (work) A location convenient to both one of those lovely beaches and some good nightlife. Does anyone have an idea about where (as is, which region) I could find these things?My definition of rugged living is your average local Filipino lifestyle which in most places is not very safe or secure! You should at least give more information as what your source of income will be and what your immigration status is, because you mentioned employment via the internet! Are you one of those freshly graduated young smart college student turned business entrepreneur and ready to take on the world? The answers you are seeking will vary greatly from one expat to the next, but we will all make an effort to assist you in your endeavors! Wow! I bet a lot of the members here wished they were 22 again including myself and we would all like to stir you in the right direction! I will continue with my comments and recommendations later after you give us more info to go on! Also in addition from my other post to another newcomer, welcome.gif to Boss Man's forum! My first question is, why the Philippines and what do you know, read or heard about the Philippines that got your interest to come here? I will generalize somewhat in my coming remarks or questions to cover some of the important things to consider before one commits to even buying that roundtrip ticket! For starters, here's just a few questions I'd like to throw at you: 1. What's your source of income and will it be adquate to live on here in the Philippines? 2. Do you know what the cost is involved to set up a household here? 3. Do you know the immigration laws of the Philippines and how much it will cost to stay here? 4. What will you do if you seriously get sick or injured and need medical attention? I can go on, but I'll stop here for now and let you digest a few of my questions. I would just suggest that any traveler, do their homework, make a predeparture and arrival checklist to cover all the bases for a hassle free trip to the Philippines! So, good luck with your plans! Just ask away if you need more information! sig_sep.png

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Those questions are hard to answer with a broad answer. Most of us would have different ideas on where is best to locate but if you want good nightlife then Cebu City, Makati, or possibly Angeles City, and depending on what good nightlife means to you. Inexpensive places can be found right outside the city or cities. Nice beaches might be difficult on a low budget but they can be found hours outside of Cebu City. Reliable Internet can be a problem in most parts of the Philippines because reliable power can often be an issue in itself. Last year most of the Philippines was suffering continual blackouts where they would shut down whole areas, for an hour here and an hour there, so if your internet provider was in one of those areas, then you get the idea. I use a UPS on my modem, router and laptop which I use as a desktop, so I rarely lost the Internet during those shut downs but the UPS can only last so long and I did lose the internet when the power went down in the source area. The Philippines is a developing nation and therefore things can often also be developing but it has gotten better with time and more choices keep coming about as time passes. My advice to you would be to read many of the existing posts on this forum and then you would have a better idea of what you might be facing. Also feel free to ask direct questions and then members will hopefully give you the answers you seek.