Scientists: A Solar Storm Could Have The Power Of Katrina

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This could cause quite a mess. Worsening solar storms could shut down telecommunications, ground airline service and even lead to global blackouts, scientists and government officials warned in Washington D.C.People need to be aware of the dire consequences a massive solar storm could have on the global infrastructure, Helena Lindberg of the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency said at a panel discussion on solar storms at the American Association for the Advancement of Science's annual meeting this weekend."I'm not talking about days or weeks, but several months without electric power, blackouts, across large regions of Europe and the U.S.," she said.Scientists have been warning for several years that the Earth is entering a new solar cycle characterized by more intense and frequent solar storms, where the sun releases large bursts of electrified gasses. Those storms can disrupt satellites, including the Global Positioning System; fry electronic devices; and even disrupt the electricity grid.Read more HERE

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

"Scientists have been warning for several years . . ."It seems that Scientists are never happy unless they are preaching doom and gloom or saying I told you so. Funny how you never hear from them after an event they predicted just fizzles.As a young scholar I was convinced that science was much more accurate than religion. Now I doubt that very much. Ooopss . . way off topic and I brought religion into it which is politically incorrect. Oops that is politics too. I better quit before I am banned whistling.gifI just get pissed at these doom and gloom scientists who cannot even predict an earthquake happening today but think they know the future.