A Kiss In Public, Why Is It Taboo

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Roy2Cebu brought up a friendly kiss on the cheek to a child HERE and how it may have been taken the wrong way by one of the teenagers that was present, and I know that Filipinos usually do not like showing affection in public, but is it taboo to show innocent affection in public, such as was the case with Roy? Or was the other girl just jealous of the attention being paid to the smaller children. Thinking back, I think in all my years of coming to the Philippines and interacting with family, I hardly ever remember seeing affection shown in front of me, even to little children, so it took me years to get my wifes brothers and sister used to my hugging them, and now even my nephews or nieces hug me when the see me, so why do you think that is it that such warm people rarely show affection in public to those they love?

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)

It depends which warm and friendly people you are referring to in this case...the foreigners or the locals.Me, I'm, well I think, a natural tactile person, especially with kids...just the clowning about with them. It makes me happy but admittedly after an hour gets a bit tedious..it interrupts my drinking...and I'm getting older...hehehe. But, I've never worried about showing affection in public to my loved ones...obviously as you age, you ain't going to have lingering, sloppy kisses in public...but a peck on the nose or cheek on the escalator in a mall is ok.My main concern in regards to the post that was diverted here to commence another topic is that...just be careful where you are showing that affection.There's a difference between family affection, how long it take's them to reciprocate is their issue...and doing it , innocently with natural behaviour to people, especially kids, in any given situation, you don't know or your immediate family isn't friends of ,could spell big danger.

Edited by roy2cebu