Balikbayan Visa Return Ticket

AFeric
Posted
Posted

I know you have to have a return/out of country ticket to come in on a tourist visa. My wife is a former Philippine citizen and I’m looking at coming in as her dependent so we will (I think) get the balikbayan visa good for 1 year. Do we still have to have a ticket out of the country? I can't find my old passport to see what I've gotten in the past, but I just looked at hers and to was a balikbayan visa. I’m sure It’s in here somewhere in this forum, but I can’t find it! J

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

howdy, go to the forum home page, and scroll down to travel and visa information, tons of info there, good luck ..............ej :yes:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I know you have to have a return/out of country ticket to come in on a tourist visa. My wife is a former Philippine citizen and I’m looking at coming in as her dependent so we will (I think) get the balikbayan visa good for 1 year. Do we still have to have a ticket out of the country? I can't find my old passport to see what I've gotten in the past, but I just looked at hers and to was a balikbayan visa. I’m sure It’s in here somewhere in this forum, but I can’t find it! J
Whatever way you choose may be wrong depending on the officials at the time. Many people have come without an exit ticket, I have read that it is a requirement, even with a balikbayan stamp and should the clerk at the airline counter decide you need one then you will be out the money for the ticket as they won't let you on the plane, (happened to my neighbor).So you will hear varying stories as each experience is different. You can greatly improve your odds if you have an ACR card or driver's license with a Philippine address to show you are a resident, (even though a temporary one). Personally I would buy a cheap exit ticket, (about 1,000 pesos if you search hard).

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
If you are married and arrive in the Philippines at the same time, then you should have no problem getting the BB stamp which by the way is not a visa and instead is a privilege, so they do not have to give it to you, but will most often if you ask and you both have the same last name on your passports or also have your marriage license with you in case they ask for it. As for the ticket out, as Dave said above, it is hit and miss and if the immigration does not get you then the airline might, so have a cheap onward ticket, just in case, and it will save you money in the long run. Philippine Airlines is one of the only ones that may not insist on a return ticket for a balikbayan but even that is subject to change at the discretion of the person checking you in. My wife and I come on a BB stamp every year and we had never been asked for a return ticket until this year and it was only the airline that asked.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just this past November, my wife and I returned to the Philippines on a one-way ticket, got my BB stamp, my wife's was a Dual Citizen then, just had a reentry stamp in her passport and the 2 years previous yrs also on Philippine Airlines both on one-way tickets, we both got the BB stamp aka "one year permit stamp"! The BB stamp aka a one year permit is not a VISA, because with visas they aren't free, one has to pay for those! Nowadays I wouldn't recommend trying to get in Manila or Cebu on a one-way ticket, because most airlines and immigration officials have been asking for return on-ward tickets! So to be certain, just get yourselves the cheap follow-on aka "throw away tickets" if one plans to stay the long term, round trip if just for a short vacation here! We have never been denied the BB stamp aka one year permit in 12 years!

Edited by Art2ro

AFeric
Posted
Posted

Thank you for all your input. Yeah with Philippine immigration, I guess its best to not take chances, a throw away ticket sounds like the safest option.