Wall Mounted Electric Shower Heaters

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

A few weeks ago, my wife was complaining to me that whenever she takes a shower, she randomly got an electrical shock! I told her to stop using the electric shower heater until I could check it out. I removed the housing cover of the shower heater and found that the heating element copper tubing at the bottom of heating element had sprung a leak because the soldering melted and separated from the copper tubing fittings attached to the heating element.I bought a new replacement and put extra drain holes at the bottom of plastic housing so that in the future that when the heating element ever springs a leak again, the water will drain out immediately preventing the water filling up the housing and making contact with the electric wiring terminal. Usually the main fuse box will trip in case of a short circuit, but since the water made a continuous electrical path, the breaker didn't trip. Those of you who have this type of shower heater, it may not happen to you for the life of your unit, but then again it could just happen like it did with my wife, almost getting electrocuted. Our shower heater was about 8 yrs old! The picture below is just a similar heater that we have and not this particular brand. They are all about the same in internal component parts, some are digital and some just have the plain on/off rotatory switch with a built-in auto shut off switch in the housing attached to the heating element which works automatically when there's no water pressure. post-682-0-06830400-1299508885_thumb.jpg

Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
A few weeks ago, my wife was complaining to me that whenever she takes a shower, she randomly got an electrical shock! I told her to stop using the electric shower heater until I could check it out. I removed the housing cover of the shower heater and found that the heating element copper tubing at the bottom of heating element had sprung a leak because the soldering melted and separated from the copper tubing fittings attached to the heating element.I bought a new replacement and put extra drain holes at the bottom of plastic housing so that in the future that when the heating element ever springs a leak again, the water will drain out immediately preventing the water filling up the housing and making contact with the electric wiring terminal. Usually the main fuse box will trip in case of a short circuit, but since the water made a continuios electrical path, the breaker didn't trip. Those of you who have this type of shower heater, it make not happen to you for the life of your unit, but then again it could just happen like it did with my wife, almost getting electrocuted. Our shower heater was about 8 yrs old! The picture below is just a similar heater that we have and not this particular brand. They are all about the same in internal component parts, some are digital and some just plain with just the on/off rotatory switch with a built-in auto shut off switch in the housing attached to the heating element which works automatically when there's no water pressure. post-682-0-06830400-1299508885_thumb.jpg
Good advice. My wife and I decided to have a dual water heater (sink and shower) installed because just the thought of having 240 volts in the shower area where water is running and splashing scared the heck out of me, so ours is mounted next to the sink instead. When we first got our unit, I had the choice of either and just seeing the outlet up in the shower and knowing that steam goes up, was enough to make me spend the extra money for the dual output one. I just had one installed for member Frank in his condo and I noticed that the pipes on the new ones are now made of plastic, so I guess they are now doing their best to insulate the water from the electric, in case of a leak. Voltage and water do not mix IMO and these water heaters always troubled me. ohmy.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the heads up Art. Our shower head is like yours but made in Germany (bet ya it's Chinese!) from Ace Cebu City. Had the instillation done with a ground safety fault as it is located around water.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

make sure you buy a Good brand name heater, install a grounding wire,. IF it has a" Fault interrupt button" not such of exact name. test it monthly. (( its usually on the side)) Make sure its NOT in the way of getting "touched/sprayed" with water. about once a year REMOVE the COVER, inspect it for any changes.....does anyone know of a site LIKE consumer reports or guide that would have MORE INDEPTH info on items like this.??OLD 55. i dont know if a GROUND FAULT INTERUPTER can be installed here in RP as the electric lines are 2 wires.doesnt the GFI need 3? thanks

Edited by ed villas

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
make sure you buy a Good brand name heater, install a grounding wire,. IF it has a" Fault interrupt button" not such of exact name. test it monthly. Make sure its NOT in the way of getting "touched/sprayed" with water. about once a year REMOVE the COVER, inspect it for any changes.....does anyone know of a site LIKE consumer reports or guide that would have MORE INDEPTH info on items like this.??
This is the productGFI Duplex outlet I was talking about it can be found in Philippines.

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I've always been amazed at these "in shower" electric water heaters. In Oz there is no way in the world you could have one of those things.Electrical regulations are very strict especially where water is concerned and to be standing in the shower next to one of those things, especially when you see so many of them with the power point also in the shower with you is just madness! If we ever get around to building a house in Cebu i was planning on having one of these water heaters in the bathroom but instead of putting it in the shower recess i was thinking to bring the water inlet pipe out inside a cabinet possibly under the basin, and mount the heater and power point in there as well. The hot water outlet pipe could then run back inside the wall and up to the shower rose. :AddEmoticons04230:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have had more shocks from light switches placed in damp areas of the CR than anything else. I use the 'on demand' hot water in my shower and the only problem is that it leaks after 3 years. After reading the opening post I think it is time to sell it while it still works and buy a new one.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I have been shocked a few times by those wall mount heating units in hotels. Now I unplug them when possible. Finally got to the point a cold shower feels better than the shock!Speaking of electrical oddities, this is how the exhaust fan was switched on in a hotel I stayed at in Tacloban. At least it was not at the shower head end. :AddEmoticons04230:

post-635-0-75686200-1299548603_thumb.jpg

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
make sure you buy a Good brand name heater, install a grounding wire,. IF it has a" Fault interrupt button" not such of exact name. test it monthly. (( its usually on the side)) Make sure its NOT in the way of getting "touched/sprayed" with water. about once a year REMOVE the COVER, inspect it for any changes.....does anyone know of a site LIKE consumer reports or guide that would have MORE INDEPTH info on items like this.??OLD 55. i dont know if a GROUND FAULT INTERUPTER can be installed here in RP as the electric lines are 2 wires.doesnt the GFI need 3? thanks
UPDATE 11 march.. the item i referred to is called the ECFI it is a reset type button when the Curtic (sp) is interrupted

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
UPDATE 11 march.. the item i referred to is called the ECFI it is a reset type button when the Curtic (sp) is interrupted
You are correct a ground is needed in order to have a GFI. I had an electrician come in and upgrade the box and add a safety ground. It is connected and grounded to the well pipe. The kitchen, office and both comfort rooms have GFI duplex outlets. The cost was fairly modest but it was over ten years ago.Another good reason to have a ground is because of the lightning storms over there.