Xoom Recurring Transfer

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Just in case someone want's to do this, but you must do it on your PC before leaving the USA, you can schedule money transfers from your US bank account to the Phillipines, say once a month you need $1000.00 it is transfered on the date you schedule in Peso or dollars . Peso Fee $5.99 Dollar Fee $ 7.99 this is thru Xoom really fast, cash pickup or bank deposit, it can be stopped but must be from PC in USA. Could be ok for some one who returns yearly to the US and wants to pick up cash monthly, just a little information

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK i hear so much about XOOM. what are the rates GIVEN? compared to Wells Fargo/bpi /bdo. could you do a transfer from a wells fargo to wells fargo remittance account? just curiouscould this be done while in the RP or you mail form back to the US facility .Has anyone tried using their Bank ATM / debt card ? most banks now charge 200p to use international card except HSBC (FREE) Citibank (150)Hsbc has best withdrawal limit I think 20T or slightly moreBDO BPI Metrobank PS savings allows only 10T per transcation

Edited by ed villas

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Just in case someone want's to do this, but you must do it on your PC before leaving the USA, you can schedule money transfers from your US bank account to the Phillipines, say once a month you need $1000.00 it is transfered on the date you schedule in Peso or dollars . Peso Fee $5.99 Dollar Fee $ 7.99 this is thru Xoom really fast, cash pickup or bank deposit, it can be stopped but must be from PC in USA. Could be ok for some one who returns yearly to the US and wants to pick up cash monthly, just a little information
There is a way to do it from outside the country if you have a friend in the US and who is willing to allow you to access their computer, so in that way it will have their ip address when you access Xoom's site. One such program is Go To My PC, and I have used such a program, and in the past I let a couple of friends access my spare home computer to watch Hulu and to access things such as Xoom, and it worked like a charm for them, but was a pain for me because it slowed down my connection while they were using it to download movies etc, and I found one fellow sort of abused the access, and seemed to use it for everything including forums, and why, I did not know but my guess was that he was afraid he would not be able to reconnect easily. Oh, I also told him this on the phone and we worked it out, so I am not saying anything he does not already know. The other thing would be that they would have to trust you to not access any illegal sites as they would be blamed, at least until the contents of their hard drive was examined.
OK i hear so much about XOOM. what are the rates GIVEN? compared to Wells Fargo/bpi /bdo. could you do a transfer from a wells fargo to wells fargo remittance account? just curiouscould this be done while in the RP or you mail form back to the US facility .Has anyone tried using their Bank ATM / debt card ? most banks now charge 200p to use international card except HSBC (FREE) Citibank (150)Hsbc has best withdrawal limit I think 20T or slightly moreBDO BPI Metrobank PS savings allows only 10T per transcation
I have used my US Citibank ATM card here in the local Cebu Citibank in years past, but now the US bank charges a 3% exchange rate on top of the local fee, so I will now only do that in an emergency. I now have a Capital One ATM card and they told me they have no fees or exchange charges, yet I am not sure if they will still make me pay for the fee charged by the local ATM for its use? For daily life here I use our local ATM cards, yes more than one card and more than one account linked to them, that way we can have a much higher daily limit because the limit applies to each account and not to each bank, so 2 cards in one bank means p40,000 a day if necessary and additional cards in a different bank means even more a day, if necessary.

Okieboy
Posted
Posted
I was looking into this because i saw on the news today some banks are going to charge a $5.00 ATM fee because of increased regulations, the Xoom thing would be good for someone staying a few months and could get funds thru Xoom instead of ATM, but over $1000.00 the rate goes up, the rate for up to $1000.00 in dollars is $7.99, and can be picked up at banks .that way no need for bank account or ATM , i don't think it would be a long term thing, maybe untill a person gets their ARC and bank account, set it up for 3 months maybe.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I was looking into this because i saw on the news today some banks are going to charge a $5.00 ATM fee because of increased regulations, the Xoom thing would be good for someone staying a few months and could get funds thru Xoom instead of ATM, but over $1000.00 the rate goes up, the rate for up to $1000.00 in dollars is $7.99, and can be picked up at banks .that way no need for bank account or ATM , i don't think it would be a long term thing, maybe untill a person gets their ARC and bank account, set it up for 3 months maybe.
You can set up a bank account here in some of the smaller banks, even if you are a tourist. Bank of Commerce is one such bank and if you are in Cebu anytime then I can steer you to the person at the main branch. There is some posts about that in the banking section. You or anyone can also set up an account at banks such as BPI if you have a lease or some utility bills in your name. I know this because I just got an account set up for a friend at the BPI that we do business with. Again if you happen to be in Cebu sometime then I would be happy to assist you by introducing you or giving you the contact info. Xoom is one way to get cash here but my way is depositing my US checks into our Philippine dollar account and waiting for the few weeks to a month for it to clear, and then calling a money changer to go to the bank, or using the money changer the bank suggests, and change the money without it ever touching my hands, or having to carry large sums of money. Zero fees the way and safe, so that is how I do it, and while it will not work for anyone who may have to live month to month due to necessity, it does work for many of us here because I have a lot of friends who do exactly that.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have mentioned before that I used XOOM in the past and, when it worked it worked well. I found out you cannot count on them because sometimes they will cancel your transaction for some reason that they never disclose, (usually something to do with money laundering regulations or funds originating outside the U S)I have used my ATM card frequently and when it worked it worked well. I found out it is a problem when your card gets scratched and it unusable but I also found out that the foreign exchange rate I get on ATM transactions is higher, (as in better), than the rate my bank gives me on a wire transfer, which goes a long way to making up for the higher fees.My conclusion has been that there are a lot of ways to get your money to the Philippines and each person will have different experiences. I suggest some experimentation to find what works for you. At the moment I am using a Forex site to get the best exchange rate and send myself the money to my Philippine bank by wire transfer. I don't recommend it for everyone. Its a PIA to set up. Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

BPI's ATM withdrawal limit is P20,000 per day! I know this for a fact, because I've been a BPI member for 12 yrs now and have had a "free banking system" with BPI and it's here in my previous posts explaining it under Banking! If anyone wants to get hung up on using Xoom.com, well go for it! Each to their own as to how to send or transfer funds! I'm sure this subject matter has already been discussed here on this forum numerous times! Different strokes for different folks as I always say!