Bus And Jeepney Info For Cebu.

renee77
Posted
Posted

Are there any system maps, books, or web sites that show when and where buses and jeepneys travel around the Cebu metro area? I'm an American currently living in Mexico, and plan to move to Cebu in the near future.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Are there any system maps, books, or web sites that show when and where buses and jeepneys travel around the Cebu metro area? I'm an American currently living in Mexico, and plan to move to Cebu in the near future.
I can help you with the Jeepney Routes HERE but there are no buses in Cebu City, yet they do have buses that travel outside the city to other areas, and you can read about some of that HERE on Lonely Planet. The buses in the Philippines are usually owned by private companies and the jeepneys can be owned by companies or private individuals, and often not in good repair. My wife and I most often take taxis and when we do we wish to go for a longer trip, then we get the phone number of a newer taxi which is in good shape and with new tires, and then we rent them for the day. I think you will find that most parts of the Philippines are not organized like in first world countries, so upon arrival there will be culture shock if one has not read up a lot on what to expect.

renee77
Posted
Posted

Thank you. I live near Guadalajara, so I know about things not being quite up to par. Most of the buses here are privately owned, have hard plastic seats, and don't have air conditioning. I've never met a chicken on any of the buses though. There is no online trip planner like in many cities in the world, although there are paper system maps and bus books that you can buy. Although we don't have jeepneys, I have taken communal taxis in Acapulco and Oaxaca. They're basically old vans that a bunch of people pile into.Lisa

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thank you. I live near Guadalajara, so I know about things not being quite up to par. Most of the buses here are privately owned, have hard plastic seats, and don't have air conditioning. I've never met a chicken on any of the buses though. There is no online trip planner like in many cities in the world, although there are paper system maps and bus books that you can buy. Although we don't have jeepneys, I have taken communal taxis in Acapulco and Oaxaca. They're basically old vans that a bunch of people pile into.Lisa
They also have those vans here called VHires, and they wait at the major malls such as Ayala and SM, and travel to the areas farther outside the city. The VHire will sit until full at the mall and then leave. Vhires can be used instead of buses for a more comfortable ride but if one lives within the city, then there would be mostly Jeepneys post-40-0-13335900-1301013988_thumb.jpg which are open air buses and in side streets there are usually motorcycles and some with side carts, which are called many different names depending on what town or city they are in.