More Reason To Exercise & Not Be A Couch Potato

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gif What more can I say but, wt-hell.gif sure glad I exercise regularly. Sudden bursts of moderate to intense physical activity -- such as jogging or having sex -- significantly increase the risk of having a heart attack, especially in people who do not get regular exercise, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday.Doctors have long known that physical activity can cause serious heart problems, but the new study helps to quantify that risk, Dr. Issa Dahabreh of Tufts Medical Center in Boston, whose study appears in the Journal of the American Medical Association.The team analyzed data from 14 studies looking at the link between exercise, sex and the risk of heart attacks or sudden cardiac death -- a lethal heart rhythm that causes the heart to stop circulating blood.They found people are 3.5 times more likely to get a heart attack or have sudden cardiac death when they are exercising compared to when they are not.And they are 2.7 times more likely to get a heart attack when they are having sex or immediately afterward compared with when they are not. (These findings do not apply to sudden cardiac death because there were no studies looking at the link between sex and cardiac death.)Jessica Paulus, another Tufts researcher who worked on the study, said the risk is fairly high as such studies go. But the period of increased risk is brief."These elevated risks are only for a short period of time (1 to 2 hours) during and after the physical or sexual activity," Paulus said in a telephone interview.SEX can Kill

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

. . . . . 2.7 times more likely to get a heart attack when they are having sex or immediately afterward
I believe that figure goes up by a factor of 10 if you look up after having sex and see your wife standing there with a knife in her hand.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

That's worrying because I've been slack with my exercising for a good year or so. Now, in last 2 weeks since being here have gone for an hours walk every morning and indulged in some weights exercise...nothing too heavy, just moderate increase intended as time goes by.Does that make me a risk now?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
That's worrying because I've been slack with my exercising for a good year or so. Now, in last 2 weeks since being here have gone for an hours walk every morning and indulged in some weights exercise...nothing too heavy, just moderate increase intended as time goes by.Does that make me a risk now?
I do not think one year off from exercise would ruin years of taking care of yourself, and you look to be in shape to me, but years of no exercise except hand to mouth stuffing their faces while sitting watching TV or on the computer, must kill a lot of people. I find walking is one of the best exercises, so my wife and I make sure to walk the malls a few times a week, and try to walk them at a fairly good pace.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I walk briskly up and down the highway for an hour and like you walk even more briskly in the malls but that's only so any woman I'm with doesn't have time to window shop and ask me to buy something....lol!

Edited by roy2cebu