How Fast Is A X86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

How fast is a x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 Authentic AMD ~1666 Mhz? As I have said before, I really do not know much about computers except how to work them, but the one mentioned above seems to be pretty fast on the Internet even compared to my pentium 4 two gig with 1 gig of ram and the one I am talking about only has 512 MB of Total physical memory, yet is says total virtual memory of 2.00 GB, what the heck does all that mean??So many numbers, I am so confused. :thumbsup:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
How fast is a x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 Authentic AMD ~1666 Mhz? As I have said before, I really do not know much about computers except how to work them, but the one mentioned above seems to be pretty fast on the Internet even compared to my pentium 4 two gig with 1 gig of ram and the one I am talking about only has 512 MB of Total physical memory, yet is says total virtual memory of 2.00 GB, what the heck does all that mean??So many numbers, I am so confused. :thumbsup: I would take a guess that 1666 Mhz must mean the speed but what the heck are all the other numbers and why does it seem faster than my other desktop computer that seems to have more in it?
Whoops! :wacko: Edited by Mr. Lee

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
How fast is a x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 Authentic AMD ~1666 Mhz? As I have said before, I really do not know much about computers except how to work them, but the one mentioned above seems to be pretty fast on the Internet even compared to my pentium 4 two gig with 1 gig of ram and the one I am talking about only has 512 MB of Total physical memory, yet is says total virtual memory of 2.00 GB, what the heck does all that mean??So many numbers, I am so confused. :thumbsup: I would take a guess that 1666 Mhz must mean the speed but what the heck are all the other numbers and why does it seem faster than my other desktop computer that seems to have more in it?
Something missing here :SugarwareZ-034:

TheMason
Posted
Posted
How fast is a x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 Authentic AMD ~1666 Mhz? As I have said before, I really do not know much about computers except how to work them, but the one mentioned above seems to be pretty fast on the Internet even compared to my pentium 4 two gig with 1 gig of ram and the one I am talking about only has 512 MB of Total physical memory, yet is says total virtual memory of 2.00 GB, what the heck does all that mean??So many numbers, I am so confused. :thumbsup:
Virtual memory is when the computer uses free hard drive space to simulate additional RAM. In your case, it's increasing 'RAM' from 512 to 2 GB. Virtual memory is far slower than actual memory because it is limited by the speed of the hard drive.As to the speed of the AMD chip, I'm not sure how AMD numbers their chips but 1666 mHz is not that fast by todays standards.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Virtual memory is when the computer uses free hard drive space to simulate additional RAM. In your case, it's increasing 'RAM' from 512 to 2 GB. Virtual memory is far slower than actual memory because it is limited by the speed of the hard drive.As to the speed of the AMD chip, I'm not sure how AMD numbers their chips but 1666 mHz is not that fast by todays standards.
Thank you. Believe it or not, I did a Google search and could not find any answers on how fast that computer was. I am going to give it back to him tomorrow and at least now it is usable for him. :SugarwareZ-034: