Marcos victims: Money not enough

News Reader
Posted
Posted

ELIZABETH Tamparong walked out of the small room, her face a picture of calculated delight. She just claimed a check worth $1,000 or about P43,000 from an American lawyer whom she did not know.View the full article

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
ELIZABETH Tamparong walked out of the small room, her face a picture of calculated delight. She just claimed a check worth $1,000 or about P43,000 from an American lawyer whom she did not know.View the full article
While a $1000 is a lot of money, in my experiences, it will be gone the same day, and with nothing to show for it. I am happy that some people are getting paid for the things the Marcos did to them, but will it really make a difference? To me they would have been better off buying them some land or building them a house on the land they already have, because money here seems to vaporize when given to poor people who seem to have no idea what they should do with it. It seems terrible things were done to people back in those days, yet a govt run program giving food credits might go a long way when compared to just handing someone money, and nothing can compensate them for all they suffered. All IMHO. Edited by Kuya Lee

Jake
Posted
Posted

I had the feeling that the list of names that were victimized by the Macro's regime did not compensate for all the people involved. The link even told of a few families of tortured, missing and murdered family members still waiting for justice. Their cases are documented by local officials but was not included in the list. Some recipients say that $1000 is just a token as compared to the extreme hardship they suffered.Respectfully -- Jake