Are Power Plug Adapters Required For American Devices?

renee77
Posted
Posted

Will I need an American to European plug adapter for very many places in the Philippines? European plugs have 2 round prongs. I know the Philippines uses 220 volts AC, and that many places have 2-prong parallel American style outlets (sometimes with a third prong for ground), and that some of those outlets will accept 2-prong European type plugs as well.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Will I need an American to European plug adapter for very many places in the Philippines? European plugs have 2 round prongs. I know the Philippines uses 220 volts AC, and that many places have 2-prong parallel American style outlets (sometimes with a third prong for ground), and that some of those outlets will accept 2-prong European type plugs as well.
Most outlets here in the Philippines look like the older 2 hole ones in the states, type_a_large.jpg but are 220 volts, so if you use European type appliances then yes you would need an adapter, or you would have to change the outlets in the wall. Some have the ground leg on the socket, yet I have found that to be rare in the places I have been here. type_b_large.jpg Also I have seen outlets that look like this type_g_large.jpg in some places but they are rare unless installed by the homeowner or business, or maybe they are more old fashioned, I really do not know. Adapters are sold at most hardware stores here, some look like this plug400b.gif or this plug400d.gif

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Kuya Lee is correct. I have traveled many places in the Philippines and stayed in private homes as well as different types hotels.You will find all types of outlets and some of the larger hotels will have 110-115 volt outlets. It would be wise to take along what adapters you have until you learn what you will need in the places you visit. However, if after you arrive you found you have the wrong one, don'tworry. You should have little finding the correct one needed. For sure if you are staying near a major city, you will be able to buy the one needed. Even in the provinces, most hardware stores and even many smaller stores that carry electrical supplies would most likely have the adapters. For some reason, whenever I shop in these types of stores, I always look to see what is available. I think just in case I may need something down the road.good luck & safe travels,danny