Satellite Internet Access In The Phl

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK Gene has mentioned this, so I am wondering if anyone has used a service such as this in the Philippines? The reason I ask is because I have used satellite on a cruise ship and it was soooooooooooooooooo slow that it made my slowest access Smart Bro thumb drive, seem lightning fast, so do some provides of satellite internet provide faster service? and if yes what does it cost? and can someone provide a link to where it can be purchased/ contracted?

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

This will be no help at all really, except to show that sattelite is available. in 2005, we were considering using sattelite because they were promosing a download speed of 8000. But the the cost was something ridiculous. So ridiculous we stuck with what we have. Sorry I can't remember what the cost was but I do remember swearing when I heard the cost. Regards; Jim

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
This will be no help at all really, except to show that sattelite is available. in 2005, we were considering using sattelite because they were promosing a download speed of 8000. But the the cost was something ridiculous. So ridiculous we stuck with what we have. Sorry I can't remember what the cost was but I do remember swearing when I heard the cost. Regards; Jim
Perhaps you could investigate the possibility of getting satellite broadband in Australia on the cheap and bringing the dish and such with you. I am speculating that a satellite you could access in Australia is also accessible from the Philippines, (that is not the case with US or European satellites)

Married Kano
Posted
Posted
OK Gene has mentioned this, so I am wondering if anyone has used a service such as this in the Philippines? The reason I ask is because I have used satellite on a cruise ship and it was soooooooooooooooooo slow that it made my slowest access Smart Bro thumb drive, seem lightning fast, so do some provides of satellite internet provide faster service? and if yes what does it cost? and can someone provide a link to where it can be purchased/ contracted?
The Angeles City Flying Club use to have satellite internet. Speed was pretty good-faster than what is available from local providers. The then manager is retired now and the satellite system is gone. So no access to info on the system. On the other hand, someone in our area had told me satellite system will cost aprox P7,000 for the equipment and P3,000 per month for the service. Dont know if that true costing or where to find out. Have never checked but seems at least some info would be available using google. Gene...

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted (edited)
Perhaps you could investigate the possibility of getting satellite broadband in Australia on the cheap and bringing the dish and such with you. I am speculating that a satellite you could access in Australia is also accessible from the Philippines, (that is not the case with US or European satellites)
Thanks but I have no interst in it now. 2005 was when we had Cebu Tours and internet was important. Since most of our customers were in or from North America, we had a VOIP phone based in Georgia in the USA, so it was cost effective for them to ring us, Cost effective for us too!. For usd $20 per month, we had free phone calls to North America and us 3 cents per minute to most of the rest of the world. The faster the internet was running, the clearer the voice was on the phone. We were registered as an internet cafe too so we had computers for the public to use, We also spent a lot of time uploading to our websites, or making special ordered videos available to customers.Regards; Jim Edited by Jim Sibbick