Wi Fi Or Wtf?

4thDan
Posted
Posted

I've had Globe for nearly a year now....or they've had me...not sure which...regardless...I have a question that I have spent the last two days trying to talk with Globe customer service (sic) about and have gotten so many variable answers that I had to imbibe some Red Horse just to get straight with the world....I am 30 kms north of cebu city...so our internet conn is not the best...regardless, I have an antenna on the roof which is connected to a Wimax modem in the house which in turn gets plugged into my lap top. I want to know....can I purchase a wireless router....plug the modem into that instead of my laptop...and then access the internet? My laptop is wifi capable... Globe isn't sure/does't know/doesn't think so/what do you mean/and other variations of the prior.....Thanks

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I've had Globe for nearly a year now....or they've had me...not sure which...regardless...I have a question that I have spent the last two days trying to talk with Globe customer service (sic) about and have gotten so many variable answers that I had to imbibe some Red Horse just to get straight with the world....I am 30 kms north of cebu city...so our internet conn is not the best...regardless, I have an antenna on the roof which is connected to a Wimax modem in the house which in turn gets plugged into my lap top. I want to know....can I purchase a wireless router....plug the modem into that instead of my laptop...and then access the internet? My laptop is wifi capable... Globe isn't sure/does't know/doesn't think so/what do you mean/and other variations of the prior.....Thanks
If I understand you correctly, yes, that's exactly what a wireless router does. There is some overhead with wireless so your connection will probably be faster with the ethernet connection. Be sure to at least enable security, get one that supports WPA or WPA2 (better) encryption or your neighbors will be surfing on your dime. Here's a very basic instruction, applies to any wifi router.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
If your system has a modem, then it should work with a router. The problem is, that if your signal is going out now, then it will be as bad, or possibly worse when running a wireless router. One of the ways that I have found that seems to help my system stay on more often is, I use a UPS on my modem, computer and router, as well as my cordless phone, so fluctuations in power which are common here, do not end up knocking me offline, if the problem is localized. Nothing that I know of will make up for a weak signal from the provider to your antenna.