American Teacher Runs After Snatcher In Quiapo

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines - An American teacher who is on vacation in the country ran after a man who snatched her wallet while she was shopping for souvenirs at a flea market in Quiapo, Manila yesterday morning. “I have watched several movies of snatchers being pursued by their victims, so that’s what I did,” Emilie Theresa Olbrien told The STAR in an exclusive interview in the Manila Police District’s general assignments section (GAS). Olbrien, 28, an Iowa native and English teacher at a school in Taiwan, arrived in Manila last Friday and is staying at the Oasis Park Hotel in Paco. Olbrien, together with her American companion Mariah Grupp, went on a shopping tour at a flea market in Carriedo. She said she was about to pay for her purchase when a man came from behind and snatched her wallet. She said she was shocked at first, but ran after the snatcher. “That’s my wallet, give it back to me,” Olbrien recalled shouting while pursuing the suspect. Her shouts caught the attention of barangay watchman Jose Soriano Jr. and his companion, who chased the fleeing suspect and cornered him at the corner of Paterno and Sales streets. When frisked, the suspect – identified as Alibasher Abuat, 26, a vendor – yielded Olbrien’s wallet. Olbrien said nothing was missing. Grupp could only shake her head at her friend’s courage in running after the suspect. Olbrien told The STAR that they are scheduled to leave for Taiwan tomorrow. Senior Police Officer 1 John Cayetano said charges of robbery were filed against the suspect, who is detained at the GAS withholding unit.http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=65&articleId=672442

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

“I have watched several movies of snatchers being pursued by their victims, so that’s what I did,”
Good thing she has not watched any Dirty Harry movies or that guy would have a big hole in him by now. I might have chased the guy myself, but that doesn't mean it is a wise thing to do. If she had managed to corner him, alone, he would probably have become violent.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I don't think a girl could catch a guy anyways, lol.... But at least it got the attention of people who could catch him :lol: