Davao’S Best Restaurants

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

by Harold Geronimo OH yes, my every visit to Davao City is worth every penny. Aside from taking the adventures to the highlands and islands, the city is also known for its gastronomic delights beyond the durians and pomelos. This week, we explore some of Davao’s best food places that make me come back—again and again.1. La ToscanaAll my life, I’ve been looking for the most authentic Italian food around the country nd I only found it recently in Davao City. Without any doubt, La Toscana is so far the best authentic Italian restaurant in the Philippines. Thanks to Italian businessman-turned-chef Piero Lucarini, he definitely put Davao on top of local gourmands’ list. This quaint, Tuscan-inspired restaurant along Quirino Avenue has the best home-made pasta and hand-tossed pizzas in town. Most of the ingredients such as pasta, olive oil and cheese are imported from Italy, and every dish is Chef Piero’s masterpiece. Must-try pastas are Pappardelle alla Lepre, Alla Marinara and the very authentic Pesto. For pizzas, try the Pizza Capricciosa. Address: Quirino Avenue, Davao City; Tel. No. (082) 305-6556.2. Lotus CourtIf you’re looking for the best Cantonese cuisine in the city, there’s no other place to go but the Lotus Court of Marco Polo Davao. This newly-refurbished restaurant at the hotel’s third level serves a wide array of fresh seafood and authentic Chinese dishes made exclusively by Marco Polo’s signature chef from Hong Kong. Must-try dishes include the Yin Yang Garoupa, deep-fried and filleted garoupa in honey-laced lemon sauce and black bean sauce and chili. Of course, you shouldn’t also miss their own version of the Roast Peking Duck and Roast Suckling Pig, as well as their lip-smacking Stir-Fried Prawns and Scallops with Broccoli. Once you dine in Lotus Court, you will definitely come back! Address: 4th Level, Marco Polo Davao, C.M. Recto Street, Davao City; Tel. No. (082) 221-0888 loc. 72323. Tiny KitchenIf you’re looking for the best home-cooked dishes in town, then Tiny Kitchen is the perfect place for you. I really admire how locally-renowned entrepreneur couple Vince and Donna Rodriguez made Tiny Kitchen “big” in the eyes of foodies and even tourists who are visiting the city. This used to be a shop known for its home-cooked delicacies where local folks and tourists flock to buy their famous gourmet tuyo (dried fish bottled in olive oil and garlic). But now, it has become a popular dining place famous for its Caldereta Espanyol, a slow cooked browned beef ribs drenched in our broth with aromatics and spices to infuse a spanish home cooked meal. Another must-try is their Paella Valencia which is cooked using their own secret sauce. All of those who have tried it would surely give their thumbs up to this city’s most famous paella. Address: F. Torres cor. Mabini Sts., Davao City; Tel. No. (082) 305-92324. Binggoy’sWhen it comes to fine gourmet dining, Binggoy’s is definitely on top of the list. Owned by Davao’s loveliest businesswoman and chef, Mary Ann “Baby” Montemayor, Binggoy’s offers distinct local Davao dishes transformed into gourmet recipes. What I like about this restaurant is that most of the ingredients such as the fresh vegetables come from local harvests in Davao and other provinces in Mindanao. I’ll never forget their best appetizer – Pan Seared Tuna and Pomelo Salad with shrimp and pork bits in a special vinegar concoction. They also serve a very unique dessert, the Durian Crepe, with fresh durian bits that will surely complete your meal in a deliciously Davao way! Address: Villa Margarita Hotel, J.P. Laurel Ave., Bajada, Davao City. Tel No. (082) 22156745. Penong’sIf Bacolod has its famous chicken inasal, then Penong’s has its own version of the chicken barbecue too! Known to be Davao’s King of the Grill, Penong’s has gone a long way to be one of Davao City’s most patronized local restaurants. It pioneered the rice-all-you-can craze in the city, and up to now, those who enjoy the rice overload keep on coming back. This is a no frill, open air food place where every gastronomic adventurer will surely enjoy. Aside from their chicken and pork barbecues, they also serve different types of seafood such as mussels and clams. Penong’s has branches in various parts of the city. Just tell the cab to bring you to the nearest one! link

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I would list KFC in the SM mall, however they don't carry ANY sugar free soft drink to drink with their high sodium, high cholesterol finger licking, unless I just picked nose, good.... chicken.They have a great Thai restaurant right below/next to metro lifestyle on Torres street. Krua Thai .... authentic Thai food, and delicious. Easy to get to...There is a HUGE high school (biggest in Davao City and lot's of pain in the ass kids making it impossible to drive past during lunch hour) at the end of the block, so if you are not 76 and single with a heart to help the 16 year old girls with money, just drive past and there is the gym, metro...and little strip type mall. It is recommended by the Inspector, and yes, I have been to Thailand a few times and love the food. :unsure: