Filipina And Designer Items, Why?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

During my 17 years of marriage, we have met many mixed couples and most of the Filipinas we met in the US wanted to have designer items and to make matters worse, their families often wanted those same ladies to send, or bring home designer items, so what is with that? BTW those ladies were not professionals and were just average working people and so were their husbands, so it was not a class issue. It is not everyone because my wife and her family are not like that, so does it have to do with being brought up comfortable, since my wife and her family always had to struggle? To me a car is a car and a shoe is a shoe, yet more expensive shoes such as Hush Puppies are more comfortable, and do seem to last longer, but from my personal experiences with my xwife, expensive designer pocketbooks and shoes do not last any longer than good quality ones that do not have the designer name on them. So can anyone explain it to us?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
During my 17 years of marriage, we have met many mixed couples and most of the Filipinas we met in the US wanted to have designer items and to make matters worse, their families often wanted those same ladies to send, or bring home designer items, so what is with that? BTW those ladies were not professionals and were just average working people and so were their husbands, so it was not a class issue. It is not everyone because my wife and her family are not like that, so does it have to do with being brought up comfortable, since my wife and her family always had to struggle? To me a car is a car and a shoe is a shoe, yet more expensive shoes such as Hush Puppies are more comfortable, and do seem to last longer, but from my personal experiences with my xwife, expensive designer pocketbooks and shoes do not last any longer than good quality ones that do not have the designer name on them. So can anyone explain it to us?
In many cases Filipinas both in Philippines and western countries like highend cell phones. I think this is very common. Those phones have many functions the ladies find useful but IMO it’s also a status thing.My wife and her sisters here in the States will hunt out high quality items on sale. Of our many Filipina-American friends this is also generally true they like designer items but only if they can be had at a reasonable price.Sadly we also know a few that seek out expensive flashy junk they are the same gals who wear short tight skirts and very expensive haircuts the “attention whores”.To be fair most gals from all backgrounds like nice shoes and clothing but Asians more so.

softail
Posted
Posted

From my experience this is true. My wife loves designer clothes, purses, you name it. Now admittedly she scours the discount racks in the department stores to get them so really it isn’t a problem, but the first thing she looks at is the label.Along this line, I had a Filippina girlfriend before I met my wife, she worked at a daycare for under $10 an hour. She didn’t drive but she bought her 19 year old son a red Corvette. I asked her why on earth she bought this kid that expensive a car and that the insurance must be sky high, she told me that Asians are supposed to drive around in nice cars, go figure.Doug and Sally

Jake
Posted
Posted

The so called "colonial mentality" which means inferiority complex among Filipinos after the Spanish and American influence is still being protested by young college students to become more and more nationalistic. Buy original Filipino made products or services in order to promote self pride. Yeah right......If I were to go into business there, the industry of packaging or re-labeling is a lucrative business. Hire cheap labor, cheap materials and then repackage it as original Levi's, Rolex, Armani or Nike and you will continue the buying frenzy of the typical Filipino buyer. Even walking around the mall with your dead cell phone, is a strong status symbol.Respectfully -- Jake

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

last time i looked i think it was called MAYABANG. (show off), ANONG SAY MO PARENG JAKE? making porma with dead cellfone? thats a new one for me. whats next? tanks ej.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Even walking around the mall with your dead cell phone, is a strong status symbol.Respectfully -- Jake
Oops. You caught me Jake. But there is a reason. My expensive cell phone is dead because I tried to get a filipino to 'open line' it for me and PFFFFTT he destroyed the 'networking chip?" I think he said. Anyway, the camera still works great so its a strong status symbol AND I can take pictures of the filipinas buying designer items . . . . for research purposes because I am so dedicated to bringing our members the stories from the Philippines.1%20(235).gif

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Even walking around the mall with your dead cell phone, is a strong status symbol.Respectfully -- Jake
Oops. You caught me Jake. But there is a reason. My expensive cell phone is dead because I tried to get a filipino to 'open line' it for me and PFFFFTT he destroyed the 'networking chip?" I think he said. Anyway, the camera still works great so its a strong status symbol AND I can take pictures of the filipinas buying designer items . . . . for research purposes because I am so dedicated to bringing our members the stories from the Philippines.1%20(235).gif
Well Dave, one of these days you will catch me strutin' around the mall with my fake designer shirt and jeans, pretending to have a LOUD conversation through my dead cellphone. I'm stylin' now with my beat up rubber slippers. Even I can fake a "mayabang" walk, like my chit don't stink.....he, he.Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
Korecting my Englesh agin

oldutot
Posted
Posted
Well Dave, one of these days you will catch me strutin' around the mall with my fake designer shirt and jeans, pretending to have a LOUD conversation through my dead cellphone. I'm stylin' now with my beat up rubber slippers. Even I can fake a "mayabang" walk, like my chit don't stink.....he, he.Respectfully -- Jake
Hey Jake, Sure do have the designer look family, with your pics on facebook. your grandson is a cutey.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
last time i looked i think it was called MAYABANG. (show off), ANONG SAY MO PARENG JAKE? making porma with dead cellfone? thats a new one for me. whats next? tanks ej.
Hey EJ,Actually, my daily attire is shorts, tank top and sandals. All bought at the local public market. Low profile but watching mysix all the time. By the way, I really like your new avatar -- an Abrams tank with an erection!Lock and load Pare -- Jake Edited by Jake
spell check

• 1 month later...
piglett
Posted
Posted (edited)
Along this line, I had a Filippina girlfriend before I met my wife, she worked at a daycare for under $10 an hour. She didn’t drive but she bought her 19 year old son a red Corvette. I asked her why on earth she bought this kid that expensive a car and that the insurance must be sky high, she told me that Asians are supposed to drive around in nice cars, go figure.
DUMB removedsorry i just had to call her what she is piglett
Admin noteThe use of swear words here is against the few rules we have,even though the system filters edited the swear word it is advised to refrain from using them.
Edited by Boss Man
removed profanity and added note