Do You Know The Rules Of The Road In The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
The LTO site lists most of the possible violations you may come across during your time driving in the Philippines but there are a few things worth mentioning, either for their impact on expats or for their humorous value. Such as:
17. Tourist operating or allowing the use of non Philippine registered Motor Vehicle beyond the 90 day period of his sojourn in the country. 5,000.00 Peso Fine M the MV shall not be allowed to operate by the confiscation of its plates, OR & CR until properly registered. in addition, if the driver is a holder of local driver’s license, the same shall be suspended for one (1) month
or how about this one
32. Dirty or unsightly or unsanitary Motor Vehicle 300.00 Peso fine
and does anyone know what this even is?
47. Failure to carry Early Warning Device (EWD) 150.00 Peso Fine
If you want to go to the site. It is here. Add your own favorite if you like. Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Dave,Thanks for the heads up on LTO (Land Transportation Office) regulations. The "EWD" are the reflective triangles andwarning lights to be placed around your disabled vehicle. Also, I did not see listed when a jeepney driver does not turnoff his engine while he's pumpin' fuel. Item 75 "Reckless Driving" is my favorite section. Perhaps it should be writtenin Tagalog in bold letters. Although I will not suggest this to anyone, have a couple 100 peso notes for "donation" tothe traffic cop to "facilitate" the ticketing process.Respectfully -- Jake

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

32. Dirty or unsightly or unsanitary Motor Vehicle 300.00 Peso fine
This is the one i found the funniest hahahaO-U-C :cheersty:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Jake, thanks for clearing up rule #32. Before you mentioned about the triangles, I thought the "EWD" was a HORN! ..... Always sound horn to give warning of pending,......I'm entering in front of you,....I'm taking your right-of-way,....get out of my way,....or maybe just "hi". I'm sure there are few there who could not drive without a horn. It really does seem to be a necessity, especially in the cities. :yes:danny

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Jake, thanks for clearing up rule #32. Before you mentioned about the triangles, I thought the "EWD" was a HORN! ..... Always sound horn to give warning of pending,......I'm entering in front of you,....I'm taking your right-of-way,....get out of my way,....or maybe just "hi". I'm sure there are few there who could not drive without a horn. It really does seem to be a necessity, especially in the cities. :yes:danny
Oh yes, we cannot forget the horn. Everyone needs to frequently sound their horn and point and wave to signal the direction they will cut in front of. Its because of another rule on that site:
. . . Defective Horn or signaling device 300.00 Peso fine

Jake
Posted
Posted
You're welcome Danny. To tell you the truth however, I have never seen any emergency warning devices employedaround a disabled vehicle. But I have seen large rocks and bushes to warn other motorists. Speaking of horns, I'mgoing to buy the loudest truck horn (at least 120db) to be installed in my future Jeep Wrangler, plus a overhead mountfor a M-60 machine gun.......he, he.Respectfully -- Jake