Cebu The Safest City In South East Asia?

the dude
Posted
Posted

Is Cebu one of the safest cities in south east asia? Someone once mentioned that. Is cebu really that safe? All this because I was robbed last year in Manila. thanx heynow :AddEmoticons04230:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

You could argue that Cebu is one of the safest, but as soon as you jinxed yourself by saying that, you might become a victim of a crime.You have to be vigilant in any city but let me say it has a lot of good qualities considering its size and the varied number of people here.

the dude
Posted
Posted
You could argue that Cebu is one of the safest, but as soon as you jinxed yourself by saying that, you might become a victim of a crime.You have to be vigilant in any city but let me say it has a lot of good qualities considering its size and the varied number of people here.
So I thought I was when I was robbed last year. in manilaThank you. heynow

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Is Cebu one of the safest cities in south east asia? Someone once mentioned that. Is cebu really that safe? All this because I was robbed last year in Manila. thanx heynow :AddEmoticons04230:
IMHO no place in this new crazy world is totally safe, and especially when there are people starving and trying to feed their families. I walk around the streets here in the daytime and at night, at times when I am alone, but I try my best to take taxis when going out late at night which will be any great distance, and especially when with my wife or friends, in order to not press my luck. Not to insult you or anyone else, but newbies in any place stand out, by the way they dress and just how they act and look around, and that in itself makes a person a target anywhere in the world. I would say Cebu City is safe because you are one of many foreigners here, but it is always best to keep a low profile and not walk around areas where you could get mugged, yet the same is even true of many of the streets in the US and other areas of the world. IMHO a person can prevent becoming a target by being totally comfortable in their surrounding, since criminals look for targets of opportunity and a person who is a duck out of water gives off vibes bad people seem to sense.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Davao City stat wise is the safest in the Philippines.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
With Mayor Dirty Harry and the vigilantes taking out the criminals. i can beleive that!

• 2 weeks later...
Markham
Posted
Posted
With Mayor Dirty Harry and the vigilantes taking out the criminals. i can beleive that!
Roddy Duterte is no longer the Mayor of Davao but he is Vice Mayor (and a Senator, I believe), his daughter, Sara, now holds the top job. She, incidentally is half-German, which may explain why the city has been rather pro-foreigner ever since the Dutertes came to power. Not only is it a very safe city, it is also the cleanest and least polluted of any Philippine city and has one of the purest water supplies in the world (according to WHO), it is the only city in the country to have a fully-functioning 911 emergency service.Mark

• 2 weeks later...
No name
Posted
Posted
You know Jim, many people are glad he, err I mean she does that. I'm not one of those. But I don't live there, as you know, so I suppose it doesn't matter what I think. :)When my friend Inspector said that, first thing that popped in my head is they don't likely count the activities of the death squads into those statistics. I think it is true though, as long as you don't run afoul of the mayor, it is one of the safer places as long as you stay in the city. On the outskirts of the city crime is said to be quite high, because the criminals don't want to run into the mayor. Not entirely a bad thing. The little town I live in is safer than Davao. There's been, I think four murders here in the last three years. Too bad that three of them happened this year. But there are disadvantages of living here too. It can be hard to find things here, its 80 miles for a cigar! Too many brownouts (which Davao has few of unless that's changed.) But I can walk around town with my cell phone in my hand at 2am. Though it has been a long time since I was out that late. If I owned a car, living in Bogo would be a lot nicer.I do think Cebu Province is one of the safer places in the Philippines, minus Makati and Lapu Lapu can get pretty risky too if you're stupid. Both cities are plagued with gangs. Makati is worse, one cab driver was pretty surprised that a Kano would know that. I told him a Filipina tried to get me to meet her in the town plaza of Lapu Lapu but I told her I didn't want to die tonight. He confirmed that would have been a very bad move on my part.I'd be surprised if Davao is not safer than Cebu City though, actually, I'd be very surprised.Cebu has less NPA activity than most places. So far, almost no activity from the MILF and kidnapping for ransom gangs are not common here.One huge problem with Cebu province is that the Governor practically banned bikini contest. ha-ha Before someone says but I saw one and such and such place, the Governor has no jurisdiction over highly urbanized cities.Oh well, hello everyone. Hope that eye problem is well behind you Inspector.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You know Jim, many people are glad he, err I mean she does that. I'm not one of those.
I used to think a Dirty Harry type mayor was a good thing, until the Ella Joy case. Now I have a crisis of conscience over wanting fast, easy 'justice' but not wanting innocent people to get railroaded.