If Only.....perhaps...

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Ever thought about your career / job and wished you'd done something else?I have. Mainly worked in sales and was semi-pro soccer player. But looking back begin to wonder if I should have done something that I can only dream about now.Grew up as a kid near Manchester airport and would spend hours a day there plane spotting. Had a wish to be an air traffic controller but as my educational tendencies were more to the arts than the sciences it wasn't, supposedly, possible. I wouldn't have passed a physics exam for example and my maths was average.Now, sitting on my terrace and seeing, and still marvelling, at those big jets coming and going, really wish I'd been a pilot. I believe now that would have been possible...after all, if John Travolta can do it, bloody sure I could have.Sad how school and family 'influences' can lead you down the wrong track.Anybody wished they'd done something different?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Ever thought about your career / job and wished you'd done something else?I have. Mainly worked in sales and was semi-pro soccer player. But looking back begin to wonder if I should have done something that I can only dream about now.Grew up as a kid near Manchester airport and would spend hours a day there plane spotting. Had a wish to be an air traffic controller but as my educational tendencies were more to the arts than the sciences it wasn't, supposedly, possible. I wouldn't have passed a physics exam for example and my maths was average.Now, sitting on my terrace and seeing, and still marvelling, at those big jets coming and going, really wish I'd been a pilot. I believe now that would have been possible...after all, if John Travolta can do it, bloody sure I could have.Sad how school and family 'influences' can lead you down the wrong track.Anybody wished they'd done something different?
Yes I guess I do too. When I was young I thought I could change the world and make it a better place, so I kept changing jobs looking for one that would put me in a better position to do that. Had I stayed at my first really good job I got when I turned 21, and worked straight through to my late 50's, then I would have retired with a much larger pension and had life even easier, instead of retiring early and then going on to start a whole new career. I guess we all wish we knew then what we know now, but I look back and think about it, and realize that had I done what would have been best money wise, then I might still be married to my first big spender wife and not the wonderful wife I have today, so I guess I did get the best of what life had to offer me, by just going where life lead me. As for pilots, I know a few of them who are about my age, and it seems they all got screwed out of their pensions when some of the airlines went under, so maybe in the long run I got the better deal because I got to retire young and now have a wonderful wife, so all in all I guess I would not change a thing except maybe getting rid of my first wife sooner, so I would have saved a lot of money instead of having had her blow it all.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Roy,I only spent a few days on board a Nimitz class aircraft carrier but had the privilege to meet several naval fighter jocks. They could be the nicest guys on the ground, but they immediately become rabid attack dogs in protecting home base. The super Hornets have the most sexiest design and always gives me a boner watching them punch through the sound barrier during low level speed runs.And here is a true story of a Tomcat "splitting" water: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=34096Anyway, the link below is an accredited flight school at Mactan International just to spike up your dream:http://www.aviatourpilot.com/Respectfully -- Jake

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Ever thought about your career / job and wished you'd done something else?
Nope. I learned a lesson at a very early age that bears repeating. Its better to DO and regret than to NOT DO and always wonder.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Maybe so, but at the outset of working life when young, many aren't really sure what to do....go with the flow, then, when older, realise, then it's too late.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

My experience in life was a simple one! When I was stationed at Clark AB here in the Philippines when I was only 19 yrs old and 2 yrs into my military career, I suddenly realized I could work for the U.S. Government for 30 yrs and retire at a young age of 49 with a good pension weather I was still married or not! To make a long story short, after 30 yrs working for the U.S. Government and retired at age 49, wala, here I am in the Philippines and enjoying the fruits of my labor with my wife, but sadly we didn't have any children, it's OK though because retirement is still enjoyable! Sorry I left out all of the details in between, but hey, what's important was the end result! Life is just what we all make it to be, good or bad! Mine just turned out well as I planned it! Good things comes to those who wait patiently and I'm just that type of fella, with a no nonsense and common sense attitude all my life! Life is truly grand when a plan comes together!