Has Your Driver's License Expired

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have seen postings on other forums to explain how and when to get a Philippine driver's license but not much on renewing one. If you have one check the expiry date. Mine was only good for 2 years and 8 months and it expires on your birthday, in the third year after you get it.So I went to SM LTO office to renew my driver's licence today. Its about the only think you can do at that outlet. You cannot even change your address there, which means when you renew you better have the same address or go to a different LTO office.I arrived at 11 am to begin the process. Bad timing. I was finished shortly after 3 pm but people who arrived at 2 pm were right behind me. If you want to avoid looooooong lines then go at 2 pm exactly. First you line up to pay for drug test and medical. Then you line up to pee in a vial. Then you line up to give 3 electronic thumb prints (why 3 is beyond me, they are electronic so they could just print 3 copies). Then you line up for a medical (weight, height, eye chart, and a couple questions.) Then you line up to wait for the result. Then you line up to process the papers. Then you take the fees to counter 4. Then you wait to get called to counters 1 and 2. Then you wait to pay AGAIN at counter 3. Then you wait for the actual license that you will get at counter 4. EASY as PIThe total cost was 818 Pesos for all. Extra fees apply if your license has been expired for even 1 day. I suggest going the day before your birthday. My renewal is for 3 more years.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted
I have seen postings on other forums to explain how and when to get a Philippine driver's license but not much on renewing one. If you have one check the expiry date. Mine was only good for 2 years and 8 months and it expires on your birthday, in the third year after you get it.So I went to SM LTO office to renew my driver's licence today. Its about the only think you can do at that outlet. You cannot even change your address there, which means when you renew you better have the same address or go to a different LTO office.I arrived at 11 am to begin the process. Bad timing. I was finished shortly after 3 pm but people who arrived at 2 pm were right behind me. If you want to avoid looooooong lines then go at 2 pm exactly. First you line up to pay for drug test and medical. Then you line up to pee in a vial. Then you line up to give 3 electronic thumb prints (why 3 is beyond me, they are electronic so they could just print 3 copies). Then you line up for a medical (weight, height, eye chart, and a couple questions.) Then you line up to wait for the result. Then you line up to process the papers. Then you take the fees to counter 4. Then you wait to get called to counters 1 and 2. Then you wait to pay AGAIN at counter 3. Then you wait for the actual license that you will get at counter 4. EASY as PIThe total cost was 818 Pesos for all. Extra fees apply if your license has been expired for even 1 day. I suggest going the day before your birthday. My renewal is for 3 more years.
Elsa and I did ours together about a month ago. Hers took around 3 hours but I was done in well under an hour. Why? because I'm a senior citizen; I went straight to the front of all the queues and finished in no time. Elsa wasn't amused!!!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Elsa and I did ours together about a month ago. Hers took around 3 hours but I was done in well under an hour. Why? because I'm a senior citizen; I went straight to the front of all the queues and finished in no time. Elsa wasn't amused!!!
I guess you are a senior but are you a citizen? I was under the impression that title was not allowed for foreigners, since we are not citizens? Glad you got your license so quickly. :unsure:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I guess you are a senior but are you a citizen?
Of course he is a citizen . . . we are just not sure what country he is a citizen of buttkick.gifBut in all seriousness, there seem to be some agencies that give the courtesy to all seniors and others that only do so to citizens of the Philippines. I was tempted to go to the front and ask for the seniors courtesy but I am not sure what age that starts at in the LTO. I did not want to go to the back of the line if they told me I was too young to qualify. Shame about that too because I had just reached the age where I could order off the Denny's senior's menu back home and now there are no Denny's or Uncle Albert's or Pancake House's. Ohh the tragedy of it all.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

When I renewed my license last year at LTO in Alabang, a foreigner with his Filipina wife and myself went to the front of the line and got our licenses in less than two hrs, which usually takes all afternoon for those not a senior citizen or faster for those who come early and is already at the head of the line! AddEmoticons04230.gif