Australian Murdered In Home Invasion

Steve
Posted
Posted
SOURCE: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world...1004103524.htmlAn Australian businessman is dead after being stabbed at least 20 times during a home invasion in the Philippines province of Iloilo, local media reports.Werner Holz, 70 from Melbourne but has been living in the Philippines for the past 12 years, was killed by robbers who stole about $42,000 in cash and jewellery from his home.Werner, who lives in the town of Ajuy, 87 kilometres northeast of Iloilo City with his Filipino wife, fought with the three robbers in their bedroom before he died early on Tuesday morning local time.Iloilo provincial police director, Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper his wife, Vivian Posadas-Holz, 31 was left tied up inside their bedroom by the robbers.She was later freed by two household helpers who woke up about 4 am Senior Supt. Dela Paz said the helpers heard muffled shouts earlier but thought the couple were arguing.Mr Holz was also tied up.Senior Supt. de la Paz said Mrs Posadas-Holz suffered bruises on the head after the robbers pushed her against the wall to force her to open the vault in their Barangay Pili village home.Police said the robbers, armed with knives and hand guns, entered through the back door of the house, which could have been left open by Mr Holz and fled within an hour.Most of the money which was stolen, came from the couple's lending business, but they also operated a piggery, Senior Supt. de la Paz saidA spokesman for the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade [DFAT], confirmed the death of 70 year-old Australian man, first thought to be 62.The spokesman said the Australian Embassy in Manilla is providing consular assistance to the man's family.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
SOURCE: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world...1004103524.htmlAn Australian businessman is dead after being stabbed at least 20 times during a home invasion in the Philippines province of Iloilo, local media reports.Werner Holz, 70 from Melbourne but has been living in the Philippines for the past 12 years, was killed by robbers who stole about $42,000 in cash and jewellery from his home.Werner, who lives in the town of Ajuy, 87 kilometres northeast of Iloilo City with his Filipino wife, fought with the three robbers in their bedroom before he died early on Tuesday morning local time.Iloilo provincial police director, Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper his wife, Vivian Posadas-Holz, 31 was left tied up inside their bedroom by the robbers.She was later freed by two household helpers who woke up about 4 am Senior Supt. Dela Paz said the helpers heard muffled shouts earlier but thought the couple were arguing.Mr Holz was also tied up.Senior Supt. de la Paz said Mrs Posadas-Holz suffered bruises on the head after the robbers pushed her against the wall to force her to open the vault in their Barangay Pili village home.Police said the robbers, armed with knives and hand guns, entered through the back door of the house, which could have been left open by Mr Holz and fled within an hour.Most of the money which was stolen, came from the couple's lending business, but they also operated a piggery, Senior Supt. de la Paz saidA spokesman for the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade [DFAT], confirmed the death of 70 year-old Australian man, first thought to be 62.The spokesman said the Australian Embassy in Manilla is providing consular assistance to the man's family.
But now the plot thickens :th_noproblem: Police in the southern Philippines said that the brutal murder this week of a 62-year-old Australian may have been set up by a member of his household.Werner Holz, a former policeman believed to be from Victoria, was stabbed repeatedly at his home in Ajuy on the central island of Panay.His 32-year-old Filipina wife was unhurt.Three masked men forced their way into Mr Holz's bedroom on Tuesday and stabbed him 24 times in the chest, back and neck, police Chief Superintendent Isagani Cuevas said.They then forced his wife, Vivian Posadas-Holz, to open a safe from which they took 1.2 million pesos ($36,500) in cash and jewellery.Superintendent Cuevas said somebody from Mr Holz's household may have tipped off the suspects about the victim's movements and on possible points of entry into the house."Based on our investigation, the suspects entered the house through the emergency exit in the bathroom of the master bedroom. Apparently, someone told the suspects about the emergency exit," he said.Investigators also cited the savagery of the attack on Mr Holz which may be a sign of a personal motive beyond robbery."Initially, the suspected motive was robbery but we are digging deeper into the background of the victim," said Senior Superintendent Ricardo dela Paz.He said the victim's two dogs had apparently been fed food laced with tranquillisers to ensure they would not raise an alarm.Superintendent Cuevas said they are also looking into Mr Holz's relationship with his wife and her relatives in Ajuy."We have gathered information that the Holz couple are always arguing. Holz also regained control of their business from Vivian," he said.Mr Holz and his wife had been living in Ajuy for 10 years and were engaged in money-lending, pig farming and trading.- AFP

Mike S
Posted
Posted

As the wife was left unharmed it no doubt was an inside job ...... dogs out of the way and they entered through a back entrance sure looks suspicious ....... I really can't figure out how the inside people think they are going to get away with it as they always leave way to many clues that even a blind hog could follow ....... shame another ex-pat bites the dust ...... all because of no doubt ... greed ......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

I stand by my original post here http://www.welcometothephilippines.com/for...post&p=3679 It was probably the wife's family, bf's or friends, but since we now know that there were maids and that the dogs were tranquilized, we now know almost positively that is was an inside job, which only leaves someone who knew the dogs. May be just another case of a pissed off wife and that is what it sounds like based on that new story. "Holz regained control of their business from Vivian" Sounds like they were splitting up or he found out that she was stealing money, possibly to give to her family. and now the family could have been the ones, because they would have been cut off from the gravy train. Ditto, The plot thickens. :th_interesting:

Edited by Mr. Lee

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I stand by my original post here http://www.welcometothephilippines.com/for...post&p=3679It was probably the wife's family, bf's or friends, but since we now know that there were maids and that the dogs were tranquilized, we now know almost positively that is was an inside job, which only leaves someone who knew the dogs. May be just another case of a pissed off wife and that is what it sounds like based on that new story. "Holz regained control of their business from Vivian" Sounds like they were splitting up or he found out that she was stealing money, possibly to give to her family. and now the family could have been the ones, because they would have been cut off from the gravy train. Ditto, The plot thickens. :th_interesting:
The funny part about it, is it seems like I have read it before :th_interesting:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yea .... sure seems like the same plot that took place in Clark with the Aussie that owned the cooler manufacturing company ....... just a few months ago ..... in fact I had to reread the post to make sure it wasn't the same one ......

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hmmmmm. We spotted it right away wonder if the police will. Like I said you need to be worth more alive than dead. Ok my bad looks like they did notice. No one was killed except the husband. Including the dogs. They didn't bother to imobilize the help to keep them from getting suspicious and raising the alarm. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Edited by tom_shor

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hmmmmm. We spotted it right away wonder if the police will. Like I said you need to be worth more alive than dead.
Yup, when I die my pension stops, so no need for anyone to kill my old arse, and they check to make sure I am alive at least once a year. :th_interesting: Edited by Mr. Lee

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

And kept over 1m peso in the safe!!!! Doh