Ombudsman Gutierrez Resigns

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Maybe there will be hope for this country yet, that is if they can finally charge all those who stole from the govt and get most of the money back into the treasury to help those who the money was originally intended forSo what do you think? Will this be good or bad for the country? We have this breaking news: Just 10 days before her impeachment trial begins at the Senate, Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierrez has resigned. House Justice Committee chief Niel Tupas Jr. and Congressman Rudy Fariñas confirmed to ANC that Gutierrez has stepped down. Earlier, the ombudsman was impeached at the House of Representatives for betrayal of public trust for failing to act on charges filed against controversial cases linked to the arroyo administration. Dateline Philippines, ANC, April 29, 2011Link to this story

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I want to get an idea of what the average filipino thinks of a news story I google news realtime to get the latest tweets from twitter. Here is what the average local person seems to be saying at the moment:

I'd rather watch the live coverage of#RoyalWedding. Trust me, the news on OmbudsmanGutierrez will run for several weeks!

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Maybe there will be hope for this country yet, that is if they can finally charge all those who stole from the govt and get most of the money back into the treasury to help those who the money was originally intended forSo what do you think? Will this be good or bad for the country? We have this breaking news: Just 10 days before her impeachment trial begins at the Senate, Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierrez has resigned. House Justice Committee chief Niel Tupas Jr. and Congressman Rudy Fariñas confirmed to ANC that Gutierrez has stepped down. Earlier, the ombudsman was impeached at the House of Representatives for betrayal of public trust for failing to act on charges filed against controversial cases linked to the arroyo administration. Dateline Philippines, ANC, April 29, 2011Link to this story
It's been awhile since my last political science class, so I had to look up what is an Ombudsman: "The Office of the Ombudsman of the Philippines is empowered by the Constitution of the Philippines to safeguard the government and government-related institutions and corporations from corruption and dispense justice in the case of such offenses" (ref Wikipedia). Corruption cases that are too numerous to list are being placed on the table by the current administration and it would seem like the chit will hit the fan finally. When she starts to sing, hopefully her life and family will be protected until all the other big fish are behind bars.Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
Korrecting my Englesh agin

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

:unsure: 1 down hundreds to go. lets hope that they will get a "conviction" & that this does lead to a better government. Of what i have read .she had "prosecuted" very few cases. Is this a "good" official who has sat on many Important cases ?

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Ill bet that this Ombudsmen has had some shady dealings in the past and is bailing out while the time allows, thats just my two centavos worth. :as-if: tanks ej.