Snakes, Crocs, Dengue And Other Ways To Die

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

I know I am Australian, yet it does not mean I like snakes, dengue, crocs and other threat to my body.So, if I end up in a small rural town in the Philippines, will I need to be just as careful as in Queensland?Cheers

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I know I am Australian, yet it does not mean I like snakes, dengue, crocs and other threat to my body.So, if I end up in a small rural town in the Philippines, will I need to be just as careful as in Queensland?Cheers
G'day Wallaby,Ahh, so you're a Queenslander! Mate as you will be aware, Australia has the lion share of the most deadly snakes in the world.I'm constantly confronted with brown snakes at the farm and i don't like em either i can tell ya! Never even seen a snake in the Phils or a croc, other than in in zoos. If you did see one i'm sure it would end up on someones dinner plate very quickly! Stray dogs would present more of a problem.Rabies is very prevelant so stay well clear of dogs you see roaming the streets!Seriously, i don't think you need to worry. Dengue on the other hand can be a problem even in the cities in the Philippines.My brother-in-law got it last year. They do have treatment for it and there are hospitals, again i wouldn't worry too much.On the subject of small Phil towns on Cebu, i have already mentioned Carcar, you could also check out some of the towns on the west side of the island eg. Toledo City, Balamban, Moalboal, Barilli. All these places could also suit you and are not too far away from Cebu City though they are further away than Carcar.Cheers.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
While in rural Philippines you at incredible risk...................... If you're single those Filipinas from da Provence's are deadly! :SugarwareZ-034:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

On a serious note there many unsafe conditions all over you don't see in your homeland. Philippines building codes electrical wiring and many other dangers are common.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
While in rural Philippines you at incredible risk...................... If you're single those Filipinas from da Provence's are deadly! :SugarwareZ-034:
That's good, I am single and ready to mingle but that does NOT mean I want something casual....

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
On a serious note there many unsafe conditions all over you don't see in your homeland. Philippines building codes electrical wiring and many other dangers are common.
I can imagine...another good reason to rent something brand new then.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
G'day Wallaby,Ahh, so you're a Queenslander! Mate as you will be aware, Australia has the lion share of the most deadly snakes in the world.I'm constantly confronted with brown snakes at the farm and i don't like em either i can tell ya! Never even seen a snake in the Phils or a croc, other than in in zoos. If you did see one i'm sure it would end up on someones dinner plate very quickly! Stray dogs would present more of a problem.Rabies is very prevelant so stay well clear of dogs you see roaming the streets!Seriously, i don't think you need to worry. Dengue on the other hand can be a problem even in the cities in the Philippines.My brother-in-law got it last year. They do have treatment for it and there are hospitals, again i wouldn't worry too much.On the subject of small Phil towns on Cebu, i have already mentioned Carcar, you could also check out some of the towns on the west side of the island eg. Toledo City, Balamban, Moalboal, Barilli. All these places could also suit you and are not too far away from Cebu City though they are further away than Carcar.Cheers.
well...according to some websites there are crocs in the western islands.....maybe you did not explore much? I know you can't avoid dengue.....I lived in Cairns so....but I never heard you can cure it...you can recover but you will always have outbreaks.

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
Hi Wallaby. Dengue is mostly found in the bigger cities. I live between Toledo and Balamban on the west coast of Cebu, and I've often complained about not seeing any dangerous animals. Most snakes I've seen are "road kill". Usually, before they make it to the road, a local would chop its head off and have the snake for dinner. If you head off the beaten path, you're more likely to see any.Sadly, there are almost no bigger wild animals left in Cebu Island. The locals seem to catch, kill and eat everything moving of a certain size. Even sea birds like gulls are scarce. You may find an odd lizard or two up in the mountains. I see spiders from time to time. The locals don't seem to be afraid of them, the kids even grab them and use them for spider fighting. Scorpions I've never seen.You should be aware of the sea and beaches, as there may be sea urchins and other stuff in the sand - so wear your slippers when you're in the water. If you swim too far, there might be sharks as well. Outside where I live, we see dolphins playing - those are the biggest wild animals I've seen here. Oh, and don't eat the puffer fish(butete). The locals might say it's safe, and I've eaten it myself without knowing - but stay away. It's full of poison.Stray dogs might be rabies infected, so if you get bitten, go to a doctor.Make sure, before you come - to have the necessary vaccinations and especially tetanus. The smaller animals, or bacterias you don't see are the most dangerous animals here. Don't overlook an open wound, clean it properly and if you suspect an infection, visit the doctor immediately.