Looking For A Place To Live In Cebu

lou
Posted
Posted

I will be going back to Cebu in June, it will be my 4th trip there in the past 16 months. I usually last 6 to 8 weeks and then I come back to Canada. I want to try longer term this time, 6 to 12 months. I have been safe, comfortable and happy staying at the Diplomat or the Maxwell hotels. I will stay at the Diplomat for a month I think while I look for an apartment. I think Banilad or Talamban might be a good area for me but I'm open to suggestions. What I want is a secure 1 or 2 br apt or row house with easy access to taxis and near a decent gym and swimming pool. Expat neighbors would be a bonus. My budget is somewhat flexible, I'm thinking p10k to p20k, but open to suggestions here too. Can anyone recommend a place in those areas ?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I will be going back to Cebu in June, it will be my 4th trip there in the past 16 months. I usually last 6 to 8 weeks and then I come back to Canada. I want to try longer term this time, 6 to 12 months. I have been safe, comfortable and happy staying at the Diplomat or the Maxwell hotels. I will stay at the Diplomat for a month I think while I look for an apartment. I think Banilad or Talamban might be a good area for me but I'm open to suggestions. What I want is a secure 1 or 2 br apt or row house with easy access to taxis and near a decent gym and swimming pool. Expat neighbors would be a bonus. My budget is somewhat flexible, I'm thinking p10k to p20k, but open to suggestions here too. Can anyone recommend a place in those areas ?
Hi Lou, we all have different ideas where we like to live and one area that I like and that is very central is Winland Towers, and I believe it would be within your price range for a studio. Once you are here in Cebu then you can text a nice young man who we know, named Angelo 09212 739 620 or call the office and ask for him at 256 2636 and I am sure he can steer you in the right direction if that interests you. Winland is not top of the line but it is walking distance to Ayala Mall, Robinson's Mall and Fooda, as well as quite a few banks, and has McDo around the corner and other restaurants within walking distance, so it could save you lots of money by either walking or taking jeepneys.

lou
Posted
Posted
Hi Lou, we all have different ideas where we like to live and one area that I like and that is very central is Winland Towers, and I believe it would be within your price range for a studio. Once you are here in Cebu then you can text a nice young man who we know, named Angelo 09212 739 620 or call the office and ask for him at 256 2636 and I am sure he can steer you in the right direction if that interests you. Winland is not top of the line but it is walking distance to Ayala Mall, Robinson's Mall and Fooda, as well as quite a few banks, and has McDo around the corner and other restaurants within walking distance, so it could save you lots of money by either walking or taking jeepneys.
Great ! thank you !

• 2 weeks later...
lou
Posted
Posted (edited)

Any other suggestions here ........if i raise the budget to 30 K .................

Edited by lou

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted

Hi Lou. For 30K you will of course have more options, but I am pretty sure you will find some good alternatives for 15K. I used to rent a 1BR in a guarded subdivision in Sunny Hills, Talamban, for 12K. I know another guy living nearby, renting a two BR house for 15K in another guarded subdivision nearby. In fact, i know a lot of people renting an apartment or even a townhouse in the area for 12-15K. Of course, there are much more expensive units as well.Don't do the mistake that I and probably a lot of other expats did - overpaying the first year. 15K is 500 peso a day, and that's your electricity bill, internet and even a small lunch every day. One year it's 180K, enough to buy you a new motorbike, a good laptop, TV, fridge and a lot of good furnitures. Banilad/Talamban area is nice and has lots of expats. You can take the 13C jeepney from Talamban to the local markets, Country Mall, a gym like Holiday Spa, Tinderbox and to Ayala. They run all the time and save you a lot of taxi money. It's also easy to get a taxi, some of the subdivisions are happy to call a taxi for you, directly to your door.Rent a reliable taxi for a few hours, dress up a little bit and look fresh, drive around to the different subdivisions and ask around for rental objects. The guards will often know what's available. Bring a notebook for phone numbers and names. It will take you a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of days if you're lucky.Another option is to contact ancienrocka on the forum. I know people have been happy using him to find a decent place. He knows the market and can scout a few places for you.

lou
Posted
Posted
Hi Lou. For 30K you will of course have more options, but I am pretty sure you will find some good alternatives for 15K. I used to rent a 1BR in a guarded subdivision in Sunny Hills, Talamban, for 12K. I know another guy living nearby, renting a two BR house for 15K in another guarded subdivision nearby. In fact, i know a lot of people renting an apartment or even a townhouse in the area for 12-15K. Of course, there are much more expensive units as well.Don't do the mistake that I and probably a lot of other expats did - overpaying the first year. 15K is 500 peso a day, and that's your electricity bill, internet and even a small lunch every day. One year it's 180K, enough to buy you a new motorbike, a good laptop, TV, fridge and a lot of good furnitures. Banilad/Talamban area is nice and has lots of expats. You can take the 13C jeepney from Talamban to the local markets, Country Mall, a gym like Holiday Spa, Tinderbox and to Ayala. They run all the time and save you a lot of taxi money. It's also easy to get a taxi, some of the subdivisions are happy to call a taxi for you, directly to your door.Rent a reliable taxi for a few hours, dress up a little bit and look fresh, drive around to the different subdivisions and ask around for rental objects. The guards will often know what's available. Bring a notebook for phone numbers and names. It will take you a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of days if you're lucky.Another option is to contact ancienrocka on the forum. I know people have been happy using him to find a decent place. He knows the market and can scout a few places for you.
Thanks for the reply.. This info really helps!

piglett
Posted
Posted
Hi Lou. For 30K you will of course have more options, but I am pretty sure you will find some good alternatives for 15K. I used to rent a 1BR in a guarded subdivision in Sunny Hills, Talamban, for 12K. I know another guy living nearby, renting a two BR house for 15K in another guarded subdivision nearby.
Hold on there boys ......sorry to bust of into the topic but there is somethig that i don't understand hereguard from what ????my wife & i went all over the place buying things that we needed for our weddingwe ended up feeding about 200 people & still had food left over, so we bought a whole bunch & from many different placesi just didn't see any of what i would call "bad guys"except for one area that looked run down & there were homeless people sleeping on the streetsi quickly headed on out of there & i felt very safe in the whole rest on Manilaso what exactly are you boys scarded of ???i would figure that most of you are much bigger than the average pinoyso unless he has a gun what is there to be scarded of ????I can understand having heavy wire mesh or bars over your windows & also a good solid lock or your doorsbut guarded , what is the hell are they guarding against ???i guess if you show up to a 3rd works country buy a car that cost 50k american & rent a luxury condo for p50,000 a month & dress like a rock staryou can figure on being a targetif i wanted to do all of that i would just stay homebut that's just my 2 centsvoid where prohibited, not available in all statesalways read the owners manual before using this devicepiglett