Why are the majority of houses multi level

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

I was wondering why the majority of new houses are on 2 levels. I'd prefer 1 level only. Is there any reason to build them on 2 levels?Thanks

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure about tradition everywhere in the Philippines but in my experience, Filipinos prefer to have the room where they sleep, raised up above the living area. So, even in a single level house, a Filipino builder might raise up the bedrooms. Even if only a foot or 2.Another reason for multi level accommodation is the best use of a small block of land.Regards; Jim

Edited by Jim Sibbick

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I was wondering why the majority of new houses are on 2 levels. I'd prefer 1 level only. Is there any reason to build them on 2 levels? Thanks
For some crazy reason that I still cannot understand, ohmy.gif land in the Philippines is expensive and especially so for most of the locals, so they tend to build up, and up, and up, and that IMO is to make room for more family visitors biggrin.gif and also as a symbol of wealth. Here in the Philippines bigger is seen as richer, and even heavier people are most often seen as rich, so without continuing to go off topic, I believe it is a status symbol as well as higher up means cooler breezes. My wife and I looked at some 3, 4 and 5 story houses and what amazed me was the largest bedroom was usually on the very top floor, but no CR up there, ohmy.gif so not for me since I am not into peeing into a bottle or bucket during the night if nature should happen to call. laugh.gif

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I was wondering why the majority of new houses are on 2 levels. I'd prefer 1 level only. Is there any reason to build them on 2 levels? Thanks
For some crazy reason that I still cannot understand, ohmy.gif land in the Philippines is expensive and especially so for most of the locals, so they tend to build up, and up, and up, and that IMO is to make room for more family visitors biggrin.gif and also as a symbol of wealth. Here in the Philippines bigger is seen as richer, and even heavier people are most often seen as rich, so without continuing to go off topic, I believe it is a status symbol as well as higher up means cooler breezes. My wife and I looked at some 3, 4 and 5 story houses and what amazed me was the largest bedroom was usually on the very top floor, but no CR up there, ohmy.gif so not for me since I am not into peeing into a bottle or bucket during the night if nature should happen to call. laugh.gif
You're correct on that Lee! If one only has a small lot, skyward is the only choice left, status symbol or not! If I had the choice to do it over again, I would buy a suitable size lot to build a single story home with an enclosed swimming pool attached! Who needs climbing stairs when we're old? That's why I plan to renovate our home and have our master bed room and bath room on the ground floor! Sorry that we have no room for an indoor swimming pool, our next door neighbor has one, but she's rich! SugarwareZ-034.gifth_thholysheep.gif Edited by Art2ro