Cebu, Police Arrest Retired Canadian Journalist

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I wonder what punishment will be given to a foreigner for carrying a gun in the Philippines, if without a license? I believe the penalty is life in prison, anyone know the actual law? I find the below quote interesting, because it seems a foreigner can in fact own a legal gun here. Yet two magazines that probably hold 8 or 7 rounds each, and he only had 3 bullets on him, what is that all about? Maybe 2 magazines full and 3 extra rounds. :unsure: I guess bad reporting again because no one would bother to carry a spare empty magazine and a gun with only 3 rounds in it. Would they?

This prompted the policemen to give a chase and eventually accosted Pope and recovered the gun. The drunken suspect, Pugoy said, failed to present documents that would prove that the gun is licensed. Two magazines and three live bullets for the same caliber were also confiscated from him.The foreigner, who claimed the pistol was for self-defense, will face a case of illegal possession of firearms.
CEBU, Philippines - Police arrested a retired Canadian journalist for carrying a caliber .45 caliber pistol on Villa Rojas Street, Barangay Capitol Site, Cebu City Tuesday afternoon.Personnel of Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team, Mobile Patrol Group (MPG), and Fuente Police Station arrested John Holdridge Pope, 64, temporarily residing in Barangay Guadalupe.Superintendent Arnel Banzon, SWAT chief, said the suspect was arrested at 5:15 p.m. while he was waiting outside the clinic of Dr. Reynold and Elaine Rafols.In an abs-cbnnews.com report, the clinic is at the Borromeo Building, located at the back of Cebu Doctors Hospital on Osmeña Boulevard.The Rafols couple revealed the Canadian may have a grudge on them because they filed a case of malicious mischief against him, the report further said.The complete story HERE