How Common Is Burglary Of Foreigners Here?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I know this may sound foolish, but thankfully it has never happened to us so far, so I am wondering if it happens to foreigners, or those related to foreigners, more often than reported in the news, or than to the locals? Anyone have any personal experiences along this lines, be it yourself or someone you know? The reason I ask is because this news story brought back the memory of a friend whose finance and her family were burglarized while they slept upstairs in their apartment, and they all felt it was because someone, they suspect the landlords husband, knew she was engaged to a foreigner who was away at the time, so I am guessing they felt there had to be a lot of booty to steal, thus hit their apartment. So I wonder how often we, or someone related to us gets burglarized verses wealthier local here? I hardly ever seem to read about locals getting burglarized in the papers here, so maybe they do not report it, or it is so common that it does not make the news? :541: Apartment of Briton, wife burglarizedCEBU, Philippines - A British national and his Filipino wife lost all their personal belongings and jewelry after their rented apartment in G. Ouano Street in barangay Alang-alang, Mandaue City last Wednesday afternoon was burglarized. Jeremy Green and wife Charity Orongan Green went out at around 1 pm last Wednesday and upon their return at around 5 p.m. found the lock of the main door destroyed, and all their personal belongings including jewelry that they left inside their bedroom on the second floor already gone.Stolen were a Macbook laptop worth 1,200 pounds, an Ipad wifi worth 400 pounds, an Olympus camera worth 400 pounds, a Zuiko camera worth 500 pounds, a Dell laptop worth 300 pounds, four sets of earrings worth 100 pounds, a necklace worth 60 pounds, a Samsung cellular phone worth P2,000, and one Sony Ericsson cellular phone worth P8,000. — THE FREEMANThe link to this story HERE

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

My wife's sister-in-law isn't a wealthy local and their home use burglarized! So, it can happen to anyone rich or poor, but a successful burglary really depends on weather or not it was an inside job or if the thieves were amateurs or professionals!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I had a break in during the middle of the day while I was at SM mall for a couple of hours. Laptop and a few other valuables stolen. Replacement value of up to 100K. It happened just over 2 years ago and seldom even makes the police official record, let alone the news. When the police did come the pointed out that the local people are poor and I seem rich to them so I should expect such things but they had relatives who could stay as security for a low price and by the way my wife is very pretty. Blah blah. It happens way more than is reported.I have been away for a week and will be home later today. I only hope there have been no such occurrences lately. It helps to have someone in the house at all times.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
I know this may sound foolish, but thankfully it has never happened to us so far, so I am wondering if it happens to foreigners, or those related to foreigners, more often than reported in the news, or than to the locals? Anyone have any personal experiences along this lines, be it yourself or someone you know? The reason I ask is because this news story brought back the memory of a friend whose finance and her family were burglarized while they slept upstairs in their apartment, and they all felt it was because someone, they suspect the landlords husband, knew she was engaged to a foreigner who was away at the time, so I am guessing they felt there had to be a lot of booty to steal, thus hit their apartment. So I wonder how often we, or someone related to us gets burglarized verses wealthier local here? I hardly ever seem to read about locals getting burglarized in the papers here, so maybe they do not report it, or it is so common that it does not make the news? :th_thholysheep: Apartment of Briton, wife burglarizedCEBU, Philippines - A British national and his Filipino wife lost all their personal belongings and jewelry after their rented apartment in G. Ouano Street in barangay Alang-alang, Mandaue City last Wednesday afternoon was burglarized. Jeremy Green and wife Charity Orongan Green went out at around 1 pm last Wednesday and upon their return at around 5 p.m. found the lock of the main door destroyed, and all their personal belongings including jewelry that they left inside their bedroom on the second floor already gone.Stolen were a Macbook laptop worth 1,200 pounds, an Ipad wifi worth 400 pounds, an Olympus camera worth 400 pounds, a Zuiko camera worth 500 pounds, a Dell laptop worth 300 pounds, four sets of earrings worth 100 pounds, a necklace worth 60 pounds, a Samsung cellular phone worth P2,000, and one Sony Ericsson cellular phone worth P8,000. — THE FREEMANThe link to this story HERE
For those of you who do not know my story I will tell you this. In a previous life here in the Philippines, I was still living full time in Malaysia, however wanted a place for Ellie and I to stay when we were here together, as it was difficult for me to stay with her relatives, and too expensive to keep staying in hotels for a month at a time. We got a very nice two bedroom condo in CityLand Towers II on the corner of Buendia and South Super Highway, on the top floor. Paid through the nose for security etc etc etc. Dead locks on doors, monthly fees and all. We went to White beach for Christmas and New Years and when we got back found we had been broken into. We had followed all the appropriate precautions, locked internal doors, notified the building admin etc.The police came, finger printed so on and so on, but nothing was done, the thieves never found, my laptop and other things never recovered, the insurance never paid out.We now live in a "non foreigner" neighbourhood, and frequently forget to lock my door. We have lived here for over 2 years and have never had a problem. My neighbours would kill anyone entering my house, if they knew I was away.Not sure if it was because I was a foreigner, or because if you can afford to live in an expensive place, they think you have things to steal, no matter the colour of your skin or eyes!But I do know that I feel safer and more welcome living as we do now. An added bonus is that we live with real Filipinos, not "wanna be americans" that look like Filipinos! (For those of you wondering why I say "wanna be Americans" it is because I am white with blonde hair and blue eyes and the majority of Filipinos I meet ask "are you an American"? It is the way of life! I am no longer offended, having experienced this in most of Asia. I am lucky to have the opportunity to say, "No I am a Canadian").Papa Carl

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My family in Cebu has a nice secure home but never ever leave it unattended for even one minute. My wise Mother in law says in order to be safe in your home it is best to have blood relatives who live next you and have good relations with those that live in the area. She says most of the break-ins of well off are inside jobs. The thief being one of the house help or working with those that actually do the theft. Those that live in enclosed housing projects have a much lower risk of burglars but not from staff. Living in Philippines is not so different than in the West there are those that will steal if given a chance.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I left my lap top with Paul Petrea years ago and he got robbed. He was living in a boarding house at the time.Some one broke into our Karaoke Bar in Palompon a few weeks ago and stole most of the stock. I presume they are still partying some where! Anyway, it is the straw that broke the camel's back and we have given up the karaoke bar now. Still one year to pay on the lease but I think it will be cheaper than continuing. My gf is happy. She can focus on the food business now.Regards: Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well Kuya Carl, as you well know by now my wife and I are both Fil/Ams and don't need to be "wanna be Americans", because we are both Filipino and American citizens! We do live the modern wertern lifestyle because we choose to do so! We tried living the real Filipino lifestyle, but it didn't work for us, because of the crowed household lifestyle with an extended family with no privacy to be had, which was just too chaotic for my taste! Now, it's just the two us living in our secure little home and we don't have any worries of our home being invaded by anyone especially intruders, thieves, burglars, uninvited guest or visitors, because I made sure that all our windows and doors are reinforced with wrought iron grills and double deadbolt locks on the doors and the doors also have wrought iron grills with double mesh screens and steel door frames, not made of wood. We've left our home unattended numerous times and never had any security issues! Best of all, our security guard house is just adjacent to our property. So actually, we have the best of both worlds, two Fil/Ams living an American lifestyle in the Philippines, but without the expensive luxury vehicle like most of my rich neighbors have! Me, I drive a 1979 Toyota Corolla for the past 12 yrs now, but I do plan to get another vehicle eventually and keep my old car as a backup! wosautos121.gif mocking.gif

Edited by Art2ro

• 2 weeks later...
piglett
Posted
Posted
Well Kuya Carl, as you well know by now my wife and I are both Fil/Ams and don't need to be "wanna be Americans", because we are both Filipino and American citizens! We do live the modern wertern lifestyle because we choose to do so! We tried living the real Filipino lifestyle, but it didn't work for us, because of the crowed household lifestyle with an extended family with no privacy to be had, which was just too chaotic for my taste! Now, it's just the two us living in our secure little home and we don't have any worries of our home being invaded by anyone especially intruders, thieves, burglars, uninvited guest or visitors, because I made sure that all our windows and doors are reinforced with wrought iron grills and double deadbolt locks on the doors and the doors also have wrought iron grills with double mesh screens and steel door frames, not made of wood. We've left our home unattended numerous times and never had any security issues! Best of all, our security guard house is just adjacent to our property. So actually, we have the best of both worlds, two Fil/Ams living an American lifestyle in the Philippines, but without the expensive luxury vehicle like most of my rich neighbors have! Me, I drive a 1979 Toyota Corolla for the past 12 yrs now, but I do plan to get another vehicle eventually and keep my old car as a backup! wosautos121.gif mocking.gif
I think if you look rich you are just asking for problems in the PIwhy buy a BMW in the Philippines , that is like walking around with a sign that says"rob me i have too much money"piglett

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
I know this may sound foolish, but thankfully it has never happened to us so far, so I am wondering if it happens to foreigners, or those related to foreigners, more often than reported in the news, or than to the locals? Anyone have any personal experiences along this lines, be it yourself or someone you know?The reason I ask is because this news story brought back the memory of a friend whose finance and her family were burglarized while they slept upstairs in their apartment, and they all felt it was because someone, they suspect the landlords husband, knew she was engaged to a foreigner who was away at the time, so I am guessing they felt there had to be a lot of booty to steal, thus hit their apartment. So I wonder how often we, or someone related to us gets burglarized verses wealthier local here? I hardly ever seem to read about locals getting burglarized in the papers here, so maybe they do not report it, or it is so common that it does not make the news? :) Apartment of Briton, wife burglarizedCEBU, Philippines - A British national and his Filipino wife lost all their personal belongings and jewelry after their rented apartment in G. Ouano Street in barangay Alang-alang, Mandaue City last Wednesday afternoon was burglarized. Jeremy Green and wife Charity Orongan Green went out at around 1 pm last Wednesday and upon their return at around 5 p.m. found the lock of the main door destroyed, and all their personal belongings including jewelry that they left inside their bedroom on the second floor already gone.Stolen were a Macbook laptop worth 1,200 pounds, an Ipad wifi worth 400 pounds, an Olympus camera worth 400 pounds, a Zuiko camera worth 500 pounds, a Dell laptop worth 300 pounds, four sets of earrings worth 100 pounds, a necklace worth 60 pounds, a Samsung cellular phone worth P2,000, and one Sony Ericsson cellular phone worth P8,000. — THE FREEMANThe link to this story HERE
For those of you who do not know my story I will tell you this. In a previous life here in the Philippines, I was still living full time in Malaysia, however wanted a place for Ellie and I to stay when we were here together, as it was difficult for me to stay with her relatives, and too expensive to keep staying in hotels for a month at a time. We got a very nice two bedroom condo in CityLand Towers II on the corner of Buendia and South Super Highway, on the top floor. Paid through the nose for security etc etc etc. Dead locks on doors, monthly fees and all. We went to White beach for Christmas and New Years and when we got back found we had been broken into. We had followed all the appropriate precautions, locked internal doors, notified the building admin etc.The police came, finger printed so on and so on, but nothing was done, the thieves never found, my laptop and other things never recovered, the insurance never paid out.We now live in a "non foreigner" neighbourhood, and frequently forget to lock my door. We have lived here for over 2 years and have never had a problem. My neighbours would kill anyone entering my house, if they knew I was away.Not sure if it was because I was a foreigner, or because if you can afford to live in an expensive place, they think you have things to steal, no matter the colour of your skin or eyes!But I do know that I feel safer and more welcome living as we do now. An added bonus is that we live with real Filipinos, not "wanna be americans" that look like Filipinos! (For those of you wondering why I say "wanna be Americans" it is because I am white with blonde hair and blue eyes and the majority of Filipinos I meet ask "are you an American"? It is the way of life! I am no longer offended, having experienced this in most of Asia. I am lucky to have the opportunity to say, "No I am a Canadian").Papa Carl
Spot on with papa Carl. I as well do live in a medium income subdivision. We had the last days two incidents at the houses of my close neighborhood where a bag and a cellphone were stolen through an open window. Big scene. now security guards are almost 24/7 outside of my (and other "rich" neighbors who are all filipinos) house. Everyone wants to catch the thief. I feel sympathy for the thief since if he gets caught they for sure will take his skin off alive. Simply people here do not tolerate anything that will endanger their safe living. But it is not a safe heaven for foreigners as one might would think. Foreigners are rather not welcome. No one wants his kids growing by seeing a sexpat around them, neither an i have money type guys. Took me a few years to be accepted here as an equal.