British Firm Wants Call Center Agents With British Accent

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have heard some Filipinos who grew up in the UK speaking like one would expect any person from that country to speak, so maybe some jobs for some balikbayans and expats here and hopefully some locals who can be trained to speak the kings English. MANILA, Philippines—A British telecommunications company that is exploring the business process outsourcing (BPO) market here wants to train Filipino call center agents in speaking English the way the Brits do, according to Malacañang.This was one of the concerns of executives from Convergys, the biggest call center operation in the Philippines, and Everything Everywhere, one of Britain’s largest telecommunications provider with 28 million subscribers, who called on President Benigno Aquino III on Thursday, said presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda.Lacierda said the British company was “very bullish” about the Philippines and was setting up shop here and would be hiring workers as well as middle management.“And since this is a British BPO, there’s also a need for the Filipinos to be trained in the British accent, which we are not familiar with,” Lacierda said.The complete story HERE

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Simple, hire former OFW's that were in Hong Kong for several years. My wife has a "Colonial" British accent.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Simple, hire former OFW's that were in Hong Kong for several years. My wife has a "Colonial" British accent.
Wow, now that is one thing I have not seen! (or heard)! I remember when I first moved to England and I worked with a person who looked like they were from India, but spoke with a Scottish accent! It took me a while to get used to. I have never met a Filipino with a British Accent.ThanksCarl