Pharmacies And Getting Medication

United Army
Posted
Posted

As you all may know or not know, you can go to a pharmacy and get medications (most of them) without a prescription as long as you have a the pill, or sometimes by just asking for what medication you need or by taking the original prescription and using it over and over every month.I got a prescription in March this year for (Tramadol hcl 37.5mg Paracetamol 325mg) (Cetra)) 8 tablets, which is equal to Vicodin back in the states. I went to a pharmacy, showed the prescription and they filled it for me, and gave the prescription back to me. After a few weeks I needed some more and went to a different local pharmacy to see if I could get Cetra without a prescription. I went, presented the pill, she asked my how many I wanted, I asked for 12 of them and got them without a prescription, wow…I was stunned that they gave it to me without a prescription. So in April I sent my wife to the same Pharmacy to get some Cetra for me and they asked her if she had a prescription and she said no, and they would not give her any. I told her its cause you’re a Filipino and if you were a foreigner they would of given you some. So I went the next day to the same pharmacy and they asked me if I had a prescription I said yes and gave them my original prescription dated in March 2011, they told me that it was already filled in full and I would need a new prescription, I said ok, they did not give me any. So this same pharmacy gave me Cetra the first time, but not the next two times we ask for it. Ok… so much for my theory “if you were a foreigner they would of given you some.”In May I needed some more so I went to two different Pharmacies they both would not give me any since I did have a prescription. But at the third Pharmacy they asked if I had a prescription and this time I said yes but I left it at home, (which is true, in a way) they said they could give me this medication as long as they kept my receipt, I said sure and asked for 20 tablets, paid and walked out. I guess it’s a hit and miss with the pharmacies here and some of them follow regulations and some do not. I did not just get Cetra, just to get it. I do use it and I’m just lazy about seeing a doctor again to get a new prescription. I was talking to foreigner last month and he was going back and back to the doctor to get a new prescription every month, I asked him why? He did not know about how to use the pharmacies here.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

For the past 2 years, I get all of my medications through Mercury Drug Store, which is TRICARE approved just across the street from where we live and they haven't once asked to see my prescription . Like clock work, I just text in my med refills to one of the pharmacist in the store one day in advance and the next day I have my wife go in, pay and pick up my medications! I also have them print my name on the official receipt for a 75% reimbursement from TRICARE! I am presently working on to filing a claim with the VA hospital in Manila and possibly get my medications through them for free or at a low cost once my claim gets approved! The VA also reimburses travel expenses to all Vets to and from the Manila VA hospital within the Philippines!

United Army
Posted
Posted
For the past 2 years, I get all of my medications through Mercury Drug Store, which is TRICARE approved just across the street from where we live and they haven't once asked to see my prescription . Like clock work, I just text in my med refills to one of the pharmacist in the store one day in advance and the next day I have my wife go in, pay and pick up my medications! I also have them print my name on the official receipt for a 75% reimbursement from TRICARE! I am presently working on to filing a claim with the VA hospital in Manila and possibly get my medications through them for free or at a low cost once my claim gets approved! The VA also reimburses travel expenses to all Vets to and from the Manila VA hospital within the Philippines!
Sounds like your doing good with your medications, I also will use tricare approved pharmacies when needed and I get reimbursed also. So far it been working out good for me here in Cebu.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

That's good to know that you're doing well in Cebu with your pharmacy needs and TRICARE ! Take care!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
As you all may know or not know, you can go to a pharmacy and get medications (most of them) without a prescription as long as you have a the pill, or sometimes by just asking for what medication you need or by taking the original prescription and using it over and over every month.I got a prescription in March this year for (Tramadol hcl 37.5mg Paracetamol 325mg) (Cetra)) 8 tablets, which is equal to Vicodin back in the states. I went to a pharmacy, showed the prescription and they filled it for me, and gave the prescription back to me. After a few weeks I needed some more and went to a different local pharmacy to see if I could get Cetra without a prescription. I went, presented the pill, she asked my how many I wanted, I asked for 12 of them and got them without a prescription, wow…I was stunned that they gave it to me without a prescription. So in April I sent my wife to the same Pharmacy to get some Cetra for me and they asked her if she had a prescription and she said no, and they would not give her any. I told her its cause you’re a Filipino and if you were a foreigner they would of given you some. So I went the next day to the same pharmacy and they asked me if I had a prescription I said yes and gave them my original prescription dated in March 2011, they told me that it was already filled in full and I would need a new prescription, I said ok, they did not give me any. So this same pharmacy gave me Cetra the first time, but not the next two times we ask for it. Ok… so much for my theory “if you were a foreigner they would of given you some.”In May I needed some more so I went to two different Pharmacies they both would not give me any since I did have a prescription. But at the third Pharmacy they asked if I had a prescription and this time I said yes but I left it at home, (which is true, in a way) they said they could give me this medication as long as they kept my receipt, I said sure and asked for 20 tablets, paid and walked out. I guess it’s a hit and miss with the pharmacies here and some of them follow regulations and some do not. I did not just get Cetra, just to get it. I do use it and I’m just lazy about seeing a doctor again to get a new prescription. I was talking to foreigner last month and he was going back and back to the doctor to get a new prescription every month, I asked him why? He did not know about how to use the pharmacies here.
Thank you for this helpful information. I also have a Tamadol prescription. I’ve not been willing to go through customs in Philippines with a controlled drug, prescription or not so have just gone without. Next visit I’ll bring my prescription with me knowing its available at the local pharmacy. Edited by Old55

United Army
Posted
Posted
Thank you for this helpful information. I also have a Tamadol prescription. I’ve not been willing to go through customs in Philippines with a controlled drug, prescription or not so have just gone without. Next visit I’ll bring my prescription with me knowing its available at the local pharmacy.
If you do not know, you can bring any medication into the RP (as far as I know) as long as you have a letter from your doctor, signed by him, stating what medication your on and why your taking it. And be sure all your medications are in the original bottle with a prescription label on it . And I do not know if the pharmacies here will fill a prescription from another country, just for your info.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If you do not know, you can bring any medication into the RP (as far as I know) as long as you have a letter from your doctor, signed by him, stating what medication your on and why your taking it. And be sure all your medications are in the original bottle with a prescription label on it . And I do not know if the pharmacies here will fill a prescription from another country, just for your info.
I trust your knowledge on this, but a note of caution. I had my meds in carry on during a layover in HongKong. When I went through security there they gave me a bad time but eventually let me go. Point is that people coming to Phils may be stopping over for short times in other countries so check the local regs or keep your meds in checked through luggage.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I trust your knowledge on this, but a note of caution. I had my meds in carry on during a layover in HongKong. When I went through security there they gave me a bad time but eventually let me go. Point is that people coming to Phils may be stopping over for short times in other countries so check the local regs or keep your meds in checked through luggage.
With checked-in luggage, TSA opens them up too when they're in doubt via their x-ray machine! If you have your meds in your luggage, better have the prescription or letter from your doctor explaining what the substance is! Some custom officials may also request a chemical description which is usually in the original box with the medication!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Frankly I am not willing to take the risk bringing anything through Philippines customs that could in any way used against me. The chances are very small there could be a problem but I’m simply not going to risk it.Dave three years ago my travel buddy and I had our carry on searched as we transited Hong Kong. He had hypodermic needles, insulin and two controlled pain meds all in prescription containers. They did ask a few questions to do with the hypodermic needles but were very polite and had no problem with the meds. It just goes to show you never know how things will shake out. After reading some of the stuff going down lately (not only Philippines but USA and China) I leave my pain med at home when I travel.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

HERE is the law on bringing medications to the Philippines, and I always follow the law by having my doctor write a letter as to what I am being treated for, and what medications he prescribed. I also keep them in the original containers at all times. I do also carry some over the counter medicines with me, but never any that have items such as sudafed in them which I understand is what is made into shabu or crystal meth. I feel we all have to be careful, but at the same time we do not have to suffer while we are on vacation or living in the Philippines, so as long as we cover our butts with the proper documents, then we should be OK IMHO. Most meds here are much more expensive for me, than back in the states under my drug plan, and some cannot even be bought here, so one has to do, what one has to do.

• Like 1