Koreans Unusually Polite And Friendly This Year

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I wonder if anyone else is noticing the difference this year, or is it that I am developing a reputation here of being friendly, because this year I have had so many hold the elevator doors for us, and tonight one young lady actually held the elevator for us because we stopped to get out mail, and then she was very friendly in the elevator to my wife and I, then all during our stay, Korans both male and female have been unusually friendly, and talkative to us, so I wonder if there has been some sort of change that I am not aware of, or maybe it is just because I always smile and am friendly and polite? :yes: I have always found almost all Koreans friendly in the past, if I made the first move and smiled and said hello, but this year they seem to be saying the first polite words and it feels so good to have them almost all so friendly, because it makes life in our condo complex even more pleasant.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I wonder if anyone else is noticing the difference this year, or is it that I am developing a reputation here of being friendly, because this year I have had so many hold the elevator doors for us, and tonight one young lady actually held the elevator for us because we stopped to get out mail, and then she was very friendly in the elevator to my wife and I, then all during our stay, Korans both male and female have been unusually friendly, and talkative to us, so I wonder if there has been some sort of change that I am not aware of, or maybe it is just because I always smile and am friendly and polite? :7522: I have always found almost all Koreans friendly in the past, if I made the first move and smiled and said hello, but this year they seem to be saying the first polite words and it feels so good to have them almost all so friendly, because it makes life in our condo complex even more pleasant.
Did you only start noticing it when your return to the US date was announced?36_6_3[1].gif nudie.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I wonder if anyone else is noticing the difference this year, or is it that I am developing a reputation here of being friendly, because this year I have had so many hold the elevator doors for us, and tonight one young lady actually held the elevator for us because we stopped to get out mail, and then she was very friendly in the elevator to my wife and I, then all during our stay, Korans both male and female have been unusually friendly, and talkative to us, so I wonder if there has been some sort of change that I am not aware of, or maybe it is just because I always smile and am friendly and polite? :7522: I have always found almost all Koreans friendly in the past, if I made the first move and smiled and said hello, but this year they seem to be saying the first polite words and it feels so good to have them almost all so friendly, because it makes life in our condo complex even more pleasant.
Did you only start noticing it when your return to the US date was announced?36_6_3[1].gif nudie.gif
No I have been noticing it all along during this years stay, it was only yesterday when a young Korean lady actually held the elevator for us, which is something that we have done for others here, so I was wondering if others noticed the more open change in attitudes here, or if it has been happening only to us because of the courtesy that we try to extend to all others. Did I announce it is our time to return, I did not even realize I mentioned it. :unsure: :lol: Yup it is that time of year again and we will be heading back to the states but hopefully this time we will be back again later this year, as well as next year, that is if I can sort out some issues I need to deal with in Florida etc.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

About Koreans, the majority of them come to the Philippines to learn American English! So, if one notices that they are so friendly is because they are trying to use their new found language on you hoping that they can become proficient and fluent in English so they can get a good paying job eventually or establish their own company, but it may not always be the case and that they just want to leave their crowded country and retire in peace and enjoy themselves in the Philippines!

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

When I first started coming to The Philippines, I noticed that there were many Koreans here. When visiting a friend up in Pampanga (Clark) he was always making a comment "welcome to Little Seoul".I am sure there are far more Koreans in the Philippines, than all the Americans, Canadians, British, Australians, New Zealanders, etc. put together, or so it would appear to me at any rate.Certainly here in Manila the vast majority I have met, are involved in some way with Korean/English schools, where as I believe you will find that in places like Puerto Galera, they own 8 out of 9 of the "Girlie Clubs", the only one left not owned by a Korean is owned by a Filipino. I also noticed the last time I was in Pampanga that they are also now starting to own some of the clubs on Fields Ave., and the Golf Club!Many it appears, have the same attitude as do the Japanese I have met here, they are very polite and friendly to "Foreigners", however I am not to sure about their attitude towards Filipinos. I have heard conflicting things from Filipinos about this. For sure it would appear at least that Filipinos look at Koreans in much the same way as they do any other Foreigner.So maybe it is just your sunny and kind disposition Lee, as I can honestly say no Korean has ever addressed me in The Philippines unless I started the conversation.Papa Carl

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing they know you by reputation now as a nice guy who's easily approachable or very considerate of others. Koreans often come across as rude when they're actually just very shy. I know, I know, it's an excuse used all the time for everyone in Asia, being shy, but in Korea's case it's very sensitive. I think that's why they study so well in the Philippines as opposed to America: they're too scared to make a mistake speaking English to a white American, but in front of a brown Filipino they worry less, and open up more with language. While teaching in Korea the last 5 years, the Koreans who studied in the Philippines had way better English than those who went to Canada or America. The ones in North America just hung out with other Koreans; the ones in the Philippines usually made friends to with locals one way or another. At the same time, the Korean community (students not included) in the Phils consists of three types: church missionary types, retirees, and gangsters. The gangsters do a lot of business with cars, among other things (girls). Even the Christians do business easily enough and probably run a lot of those English schools. Oh yeah.... tons of vacationers.

• Like 1