Foriegners Required To Register?

stevensan
Posted
Posted

I received this email from the British embassy yesterday. What exactly does 'register' mean. Are they refering to the annual report, or to register and get an ACR/ICR card? In which case I can just ignore right, as i have already done all this? From: Joanne Finnamore-Crorkin (Restricted) Sent: 23 May 2011 14:16To: Joanna Teh (Restricted)Subject: Request from Bureau of Immigration Dear Warden I would be grateful if you would pass on this message to as many British Nationals as possible, either those who are in your parish/area or those who belong to clubs/societies/schools which you liaise with. For those who are aware of notice boards in clubs etc please can you place a copy of this message on the board. The Ambassador has received a letter from the Commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration. In his letter the Commissioner asks that the Ambassador encourages unregistered British Nationals to visit their nearest immigration office and register themselves noting that after a certain period the Bureau will launch a more intensive campaign to accomplish this goal. Our understanding is that the Commissioner has made this request to all Embassies in the Philippines. Regards Joanne Joanne Finnamore-Crorkin, HM Consul

United Army
Posted
Posted
I received this email from the British embassy yesterday. What exactly does 'register' mean. Are they refering to the annual report, or to register and get an ACR/ICR card? In which case I can just ignore right, as i have already done all this? From: Joanne Finnamore-Crorkin (Restricted) Sent: 23 May 2011 14:16To: Joanna Teh (Restricted)Subject: Request from Bureau of Immigration Dear Warden I would be grateful if you would pass on this message to as many British Nationals as possible, either those who are in your parish/area or those who belong to clubs/societies/schools which you liaise with. For those who are aware of notice boards in clubs etc please can you place a copy of this message on the board. The Ambassador has received a letter from the Commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration. In his letter the Commissioner asks that the Ambassador encourages unregistered British Nationals to visit their nearest immigration office and register themselves noting that after a certain period the Bureau will launch a more intensive campaign to accomplish this goal. Our understanding is that the Commissioner has made this request to all Embassies in the Philippines. Regards Joanne Joanne Finnamore-Crorkin, HM Consul
I think you have to register every year, and I think this is the same as reporting in, either by updating your visa, every 2 months if your on a tourist visa, or report in once a year otherwise. Usually between Jan and March I think. If your not sure just visit BOI.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I think you have to register every year, and I think this is the same as reporting in, either by updating your visa, every 2 months if your on a tourist visa, or report in once a year otherwise. Usually between Jan and March I think. If your not sure just visit BOI.
Firstly, my understanding is this is nothing to do with your Philippines visa or ACR card as the Philippines handle all of that not a foreign county.My guess with out looking further is that many counties like tourist or expats to register with there own embassy in case of disaster such as earthquake,this is so you may be found after such event to notify family's etc that you are OK. You are best to check the British embassy or immigration website.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Firstly, my understanding is this is nothing to do with your Philippines visa or ACR card as the Philippines handle all of that not a foreign county.My guess with out looking further is that many counties like tourist or expats to register with there own embassy in case of disaster such as earthquake,this is so you may be found after such event to notify family's etc that you are OK. You are best to check the British embassy or immigration website.
Or it could be just another way for them to keep track of their citizens who are out of their country, so they can tax them, or make sure they are not receiving benefits that they are not entitled to while living outside the country. My guess is that many countries are going to follow the Australian way in the future, which I believe is, :AddEmoticons04230: that you cannot be outside their country for more than 6 months to collect you retirement benefits. There has been rumbles of that in other countries who wish to keep their money at home, so I think we can expect something like that to happen in many other countries in the future.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Or it could be just another way for them to keep track of their citizens who are out of their country, so they can tax them, or make sure they are not receiving benefits that they are not entitled to while living outside the country. My guess is that many countries are going to follow the Australian way in the future, which I believe is, :AddEmoticons04230: that you cannot be outside their country for more than 6 months to collect you retirement benefits. There has been rumbles of that in other countries who wish to keep their money at home, so I think we can expect something like that to happen in many other countries in the future.
I believe that it only applies to the old age pension and disability pensions in Australia and not war veterans pensions but could be wrong.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Or it could be just another way for them to keep track of their citizens who are out of their country, so they can tax them, or make sure they are not receiving benefits that they are not entitled to while living outside the country. My guess is that many countries are going to follow the Australian way in the future, which I believe is, :cheers: that you cannot be outside their country for more than 6 months to collect you retirement benefits. There has been rumbles of that in other countries who wish to keep their money at home, so I think we can expect something like that to happen in many other countries in the future.
I believe that it only applies to the old age pension and disability pensions in Australia and not war veterans pensions but could be wrong.
Hi Stevensan, Boss Man and Kuya Lee are correct, this is only an invitation or request from the British Embassy to register with them, that you are currently living in the Philippines. It is primarily because many of the duties have been dropped by the British Embassy directly and is now being done by British Nationals who are living in different areas of the Philippines, they do "volunteer" work for the Embassy in their area or Barangays.It has nothing to do with registering with the Philippines Authorities, I get these notifications and updates weekly and monthly.Nothing to worry about. If you go to the British Embassy web site it lists their "representative" in your area and their contact details, if there is none, you can always register with them and apply for this position.There is an agreement between the UK and Canadian Gov. with the Philippines retirement authorities so that you can cumulate any SSS or Social Insurance benefits you earn from these participating countries to claim your Old Age Pension. Which for those of us who have worked in all three countries is helpful, especially if you have no work or private pensions.Papa Carl

stevensan
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is an agreement between the UK and Canadian Gov. with the Philippines retirement authorities so that you can cumulate any SSS or Social Insurance benefits you earn from these participating countries to claim your Old Age Pension. Which for those of us who have worked in all three countries is helpful, especially if you have no work or private pensions.Papa Carl
Really?? So my SSS payments for the last 2 years haven't been completely wasted then!! Thanks for the info :lol: Edited by Kuya Lee
repair quote box & change post placement

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
There is an agreement between the UK and Canadian Gov. with the Philippines retirement authorities so that you can cumulate any SSS or Social Insurance benefits you earn from these participating countries to claim your Old Age Pension. Which for those of us who have worked in all three countries is helpful, especially if you have no work or private pensions.Papa Carl
Really?? So my SSS payments for the last 2 years haven't been completely wasted then!! Thanks for the info :lol:
You are welcome, when I get some time I will dig out the links that you can go to for information. I am not elligible as yet as I am only 55 however I wanted to get a head start and know the information before I turn 60. I will PM the links and information later, you may be waiting a while as I have other pressing matters right now, but I will get around to it.Papa Carl

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Really?? So my SSS payments for the last 2 years haven't been completely wasted then!! Thanks for the info :lol:
You are welcome, when I get some time I will dig out the links that you can go to for information. I am not elligible as yet as I am only 55 however I wanted to get a head start and know the information before I turn 60. I will PM the links and information later, you may be waiting a while as I have other pressing matters right now, but I will get around to it.Papa Carl
Do not pm them, please post them when you find them and have time, so others can benefit as well.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Do not pm them, please post them when you find them and have time, so others can benefit as well.
Hi Lee, yes of course I will post them in a reply on this thread.Papa Carl