What To Bring

piglett
Posted
Posted

I'm not exactly sure what section this kind of thing goes in so Mod. if it's in the wrong place please feel free to move it wherever.I'm flying to Manila on July 3rd to see my wife for a few days. (11 day trip)we will be going to the province for a couple of days so i can give her dad a fishfinder & so my wife can see her familyhere is the question ......what kind of things should i also bring???i intend to bring a 50kilo sack of rice for her mom & i have been hitting the yardsales here buying up baby & kids clothes for the childeren in the area thereI also have some hand tools for dad including a hand saw,hammer,wrecking bar,& a bit brace with bits.my wife doesn't know that i will be taking this trip so i should be able to have a good trime surprising her once i arrivethank allpiglett

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

It is not worth the savings if you have to pay it out again in excess weight charges. So my thoughts are, do everything you are doing but be sensible about the weight. No need to bring the rice. You can wait until you get to her place to buy a 50kg sack.Make sure you have presents for everyone in the household. Even any housemaid.I used to carry a load of stuff but not anymore. My bag when i arrive in the Philippines weighs 12kg. Regards: Jim

piglett
Posted
Posted
It is not worth the savings if you have to pay it out again in excess weight charges. So my thoughts are, do everything you are doing but be sensible about the weight. No need to bring the rice. You can wait until you get to her place to buy a 50kg sack.Make sure you have presents for everyone in the household. Even any housemaid.I used to carry a load of stuff but not anymore. My bag when i arrive in the Philippines weighs 12kg. Regards: Jim
I intend to buy the rice in Manila & take it with me on the boatthey don't have an airport so unless i want to swim i have to go by boatthe rice is for the family so i hope that works for themI mite also bring some new hampshire maple syrup which was a big hit on my last trippiglett

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
I intend to buy the rice in Manila & take it with me on the boatpiglett
OK but now you have probable porter charges as well. maybe P200 loading on and P200 offloading.Have you checked the price lately. How much are they charging where your partner lives? And how much will it cost in Manila? Are you still saving?Regards: Jim

piglett
Posted
Posted
OK but now you have probable porter charges as well. maybe P200 loading on and P200 offloading.Have you checked the price lately. How much are they charging where your partner lives? And how much will it cost in Manila? Are you still saving?Regards: Jim
I hear what your saying ....however where i am going is very remote & if i recall there were no large stores on our route from the boat dock to my in-lawsso i may not find a place with a whole bag of rice I'm still a fairly young guy (40) so i can carry the 50kilo bag of rice myself onto the boat & then back off againthe only other thing is that there may not be room on the jeepney once i buy it & take it back to my wifes apartmenti ride local style while in Manila. it gives me a real feel for the place which i don't get by taking a taxi.also maybe the bus that will take us south down to the port nicks be a little for the rice......but atleast i show up with it in hand which is rallly all that matters to meI'm also bringing my father in-law a fishfinder, battery charger, & small battery. i hope to get it installed & have a chance to try it out while taking a boat ride with him.thankspiglettpost-1506-0-62713600-1306765299_thumb.jp

Jake
Posted
Posted
Excellent point Jim!A large bag weighing 50 kilos (about 110 pounds) is a burden to travel with. I'm sure the local market therecan deliver directly to your door by a trusted tricycle driver. May I suggest instead of bringing more of your famous New Hampshire maple syrup with maybe a couple pounds of instant pancake mix and some good stateside coffee. I'll be right over for breakfast -- respectfully, Jake

piglett
Posted
Posted (edited)
Excellent point Jim!A large bag weighing 50 kilos (about 110 pounds) is a burden to travel with. I'm sure the local market therecan deliver directly to your door by a trusted tricycle driver. May I suggest instead of bringing more of your famous New Hampshire maple syrup with maybe a couple pounds of instant pancake mix and some good stateside coffee. I'll be right over for breakfast -- respectfully, Jake
very true it is a burden however i have a scrap metal bussiness here in the states that i started a few years backit is common for me to have to wrestle an engine or transmission around in the back of my truck so i can fit more in one trip110 lbs is not a problem, doing what i do has left me well toned &i'm sure the locals eyes will get big when they see the big kano with the big sack of rice up on his shoulder i could use the services of a forwader however they seem to deliver whenever they decice tolike maybe 3 days after i have left, nope i think i'll just tough it out & bring it with me on the boat & then on the trike to my inlaws housebut thank you for your input, getting another point of view is never a bad thingoh & i''l let you know when the coffee is ready .... he he he piglett Edited by piglett

oldutot
Posted
Posted

Hey pig,You're carrying a sack of rice. Battery charger and fish finder. And load it on a boat. U might carry a first aid kit in case you get hurt along the way.Also you should ask the pig to borrow his red boots. Because during the month of July, it will be rainy season. So how far along, are u into the wife's visa process.

piglett
Posted
Posted
Hey pig,You're carrying a sack of rice. Battery charger and fish finder. And load it on a boat. U might carry a first aid kit in case you get hurt along the way.Also you should ask the pig to borrow his red boots. Because during the month of July, it will be rainy season. So how far along, are u into the wife's visa process.
I'll have my wife to carry 1 of the bags so i'll only have to carry 1 & the ricei guess the battery charger will be stashed in one of the bagsbut she will also have to carry the battery ....good thing she is strong : )she will be taking her nursing exam on July 2nd & 3rdhowever she will not get the results for 2 or more months once she does she has a couple of little classes to take & then she can apply for her licensethis will probably take till November so we are dragging our feet a bit , no point in her having her visa & not being able to use it piglett