2 Jobs On Minimum Wage In The Us Aren't Enough To Survive

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Your topic title holds true everywhere in any country! I knew that long ago when I was still working! I was fortunate enough to retire early with an adequate pension and retire in the Philippines, because of the low cost of living back in 1998! We've been here going on 13 years now and pretty much settled in for maybe indefinite for as such our lifestyle has been stress and hassle free so far!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

It is even harder for people in the Philippines who most often have to work 12 hour or more shifts on their first job, so often no time for a second job. I do remember back when I first started my first good job, where my salary was more than enough to support my then wife and myself, but times have changed and a new car no longer cost under $3000 and food has gone through the roof, so nowadays I know many families with 2 to 4 people in the household working to try to make ends meet. It is truly sad for me to see the changes since growing up, but there is not much any of us can do about it. As Art, I too am lucky to have more than one pension, but even I am finding it harder and harder to do the same things I have been doing for years and we too have had to cut back on driving, movies, eating out, and even some of the extra foods we like to eat but have become way too expensive to eat them often. Now take all that and multiply it many times for the poor people in the Philippines who cannot even earn a decent days pay. SugarwareZ-034.gif

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

how much do bananas cost over there?Today I was shocked to see them at $12 per kg!!!!!!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
how much do bananas cost over there?Today I was shocked to see them at $12 per kg!!!!!!
I did some comparing of costs from Cebu to Florida in THIS POST and bananas were included.