Why Did You Pick The Philippines To Live?

Travis
Posted
Posted

I read so much negatively about the Philippines, bombings, kidnapping, pollution, and murders and I have to wonder why so many expats go there to live? Besides the woman and the beer. :th_thimage_265775:

mike
Posted
Posted
I read so much negatively about the Philippines, bombings, kidnapping, pollution, and murders and I have to wonder why so many expats go there to live? Besides the woman and the beer. :thumbsup:
Just goes to show the pulling power of a warm soft pinay and a cold beer :th_thimage_265775:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I read so much negatively about the Philippines, bombings, kidnapping, pollution, and murders and I have to wonder why so many expats go there to liveWow ...... this is terrible ...... I certainly wouldn't live here ...... other than the bombings it sounds like any other big city world wide .....

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Traveler, I have found that no place is perfect in this world and I pick Cebu and Cagayan de Oro (CDO) based on many things. First of all, I did not pick it for the women because I am already happily married, but the women always smiling at me and all the friendly faces all around, sure does makes a man feel good inside about himself. It is so nice to be wanted and I think it also might make your lady want to take care of you better because she knows that there are literally tens of thousands of ladies standing in line to replace her if she is not a good wife or gf.I really like the shopping centers (malls) and the inexpensive movie theaters, and the many sometimes reasonably priced restaurants. IMO CDO is cleaner than Cebu and the people seem to be even friendlier in CDO IMO and I might end up there later on but for now Cebu has almost everything that a westerner could want and CDO is catching up.If I remember correctly you live in Florida? anyway the weather is about the same as Florida but without the hurricanes. They do get an occasional typhoon which is the same as a hurricane but so far none have hit Cebu City with any force that I know of and CDO does not seem to get much of that at all. Yes there is pollution and I think a lot of that is caused by the burning of garbage and the old belching Jeepneys, and I really hope they get a handle on that one day soon, but for now it is not that bad in Cebu or CDO .As for the bombing, didn't the US have the World Trade Center and some other major bombings. It is a changing world and terrorists are everywhere, but for the most part bombings have been limited to Mindanao and Manila proper and if it must continue, then hopefully it will stay that way.Last, as for the murders, that can also happen anywhere but the majority of the ones that I have heard about in the Philippines and of expats, seem to almost always be high profile people and it almost always involves the keeping of large sums of money. Do not have a high profile and you should be safe. In other words, do not flash your money or show off how rich you are in any way and you should be fine.

Mik
Posted
Posted

Florida is too cold for me.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I suspect the people who write such stuff have had bad experiences. Mostly it's all baloney.Yes, Filipino men are rather prone to an over bloated sense of pride, called face, and can get violent if intimidated by the wrong move but you'd find that in a British pub after 10pm with certain types. If you travel about SE Asia you may find, as I did, that Cebu has a good balance between east and west. There are plenty of guns but so are there in America. The bombings are few and far between and polution is bad in the centre of the 2 big cities but elsewhere it is beautiful.The beer is not good but passable. The women are beyond compare.Depends what your looking for and it could well not be for you. Travel about and look and above all, don't believe that a word you read will be your reality.

Markham
Posted
Posted

I think language may be a contributing factor. English-speakers are generally piss-poor about learning foreign languages and expect everyone abroad to speak their language. English is an official language here so no real problems about being understood - except deep in the provinces.Mark