Bringing Us Children To Live In The Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This member asked this question in the intro section, so I split it to over here to be discussed.

Thanks I am here just to ask a few questions before I move this fall. I am coming there for the winter with my son age 7 so I am looking for anyother expat who moved to work or is like myself that have arthritis and the winters kill me. I am probally going to move to Luzon for now until I figure out where best suits me and my son. I am looking forward to hearing from others who have brought their US kids with them. Afraid if I cannot work things out with his Mom I will just have to visit got to have my son with me. Adios and have a good morning.

Jake
Posted
Posted
This member asked this question in the intro section, so I split it to over here to be discussed.
Thanks I am here just to ask a few questions before I move this fall. I am coming there for the winter with my son age 7 so I am looking for anyother expat who moved to work or is like myself that have arthritis and the winters kill me. I am probally going to move to Luzon for now until I figure out where best suits me and my son. I am looking forward to hearing from others who have brought their US kids with them. Afraid if I cannot work things out with his Mom I will just have to visit got to have my son with me. Adios and have a good morning.
Thanks Kuya for splitting this topic and moved the question to a new thread (I was just about to do that...he, he).Anyway, I have two girls and two boys that were raised in PI after moving there in 1990. As young toddlers with impressionable and innocent behaviors, they easily adapted to the ways of life. They were exposed to abject poverty as well as the rich and powerful surroundings. My two oldest were enrolled in private Catholic schools and later, at Ateneo grade school -- another private institution. I was pleasantly amazed how much self discipline is acquired to have good and solid study habits. I believeit's all about competition, possibly an overall Asian culture to excel, especially in math and science. Unfortunately, once theyreturned to the States, their grades quickly deteriorated simply because of peer pressure and too much distractions.Regarding Jimbo's plan to move to PI with his son, please make sure you have written permission from your wife to bring yourminor son to the Philippines. Otherwise, any international airline will refuse his boarding. As you may realize, you must continueto make plans that may have to be centered around your son. His physical well being (as well as yours), personal security andimmediate surroundings, such as relatives, neighbors and class mates must be planned carefully. Most importantly, please havean exit plan if things don't work out for BOTH of you. Welcome aboard sir -- Jake

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Thanks Kuya for splitting this topic and moved the question to a new thread (I was just about to do that...he, he).Anyway, I have two girls and two boys that were raised in PI after moving there in 1990. As young toddlers with impressionable and innocent behaviors, they easily adapted to the ways of life. They were exposed to abject poverty as well as the rich and powerful surroundings. My two oldest were enrolled in private Catholic schools and later, at Ateneo grade school -- another private institution. I was pleasantly amazed how much self discipline is acquired to have good and solid study habits. I believeit's all about competition, possibly an overall Asian culture to excel, especially in math and science. Unfortunately, once theyreturned to the States, their grades quickly deteriorated simply because of peer pressure and too much distractions.Regarding Jimbo's plan to move to PI with his son, please make sure you have written permission from your wife to bring yourminor son to the Philippines. Otherwise, any international airline will refuse his boarding. As you may realize, you must continueto make plans that may have to be centered around your son. His physical well being (as well as yours), personal security andimmediate surroundings, such as relatives, neighbors and class mates must be planned carefully. Most importantly, please havean exit plan if things don't work out for BOTH of you. Welcome aboard sir -- Jake
Could someone just forge their wife's signature, or do they check it out? Not planning anything, but wondering if one day I actually had my wife's signature, but it wasn't enough.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Could someone just forge their wife's signature, or do they check it out? Not planning anything, but wondering if one day I actually had my wife's signature, but it wasn't enough.
I was going to guess it would have to be notarized but then I did a search and it seems not only notarized but with phone number etc. HERE is the AAA site about it. If your child is traveling with one parent: The letter needs to be signed by the parent not on the trip. I recommend you take two originals in the event immigration authorities need to keep one on entry at your destination. You will need a valid ID for the notary. The documents must be signed at the time of notarization, not before. Be sure to include a copy of the child's proof of medical insurance coverage. It is recommended that divorced parents take a copy of their custody agreement as well.Letter of Authorization for Travel (Date) I (parent's name), authorize my child/children, (child/children’s name) to travel to (destination) on (date of travel) aboard Airline/Flight # (flight information) with (accompanying adults), returning on (date of return).Signed by Parent or Parents Name:Address:Telephone/Contact:Notary Public Signature/Seal