Land Of A Million Hi Rises Buildings In Clusters

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

When my wife and I left Cebu and were flying into Seoul Korea and about 20 minutes before landing, we went over a place where there were what seemed like millions of hi rise buildings built, possibly condo buildings in very large cluster groups, does anyone know where that was because I have searched online for South Korea hi rise clusters and did not find anything that resembled that. I would guess that there were from 25 to maybe 50 of these hi rise towers in each group and right off what looked like mountain sides, and those clusters went on for about 10 minutes of flying, so they were extensive, and what was surprising was there was hardly any single homes or farms that we could see during that time, so it looked like just hi rise buildings?? Anyone know where that is?

Jake
Posted
Posted
When my wife and I left Cebu and were flying into Seoul Korea and about 20 minutes before landing, we went over a place where there were what seemed like millions of hi rise buildings built, possibly condo buildings in very large cluster groups, does anyone know where that was because I have searched online for South Korea hi rise clusters and did not find anything that resembled that. I would guess that there were from 25 to maybe 50 of these hi rise towers in each group and right off what looked like mountain sides, and those clusters went on for about 10 minutes of flying, so they were extensive, and what was surprising was there was hardly any single homes or farms that we could see during that time, so it looked like just hi rise buildings?? Anyone know where that is?
Hey Kuya,Assuming a NW final approach into Seoul International, there is a city called Osan approximately 35 miles southof that. I used Google Earth to actually "fly" the final approach and noticed the cluster of high rise buildings.Have a good flight -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hey Kuya,Assuming a NW final approach into Seoul International, there is a city called Osan approximately 35 miles southof that. I used Google Earth to actually "fly" the final approach and noticed the cluster of high rise buildings.Have a good flight -- Jake
Thanks Jake but I do not think that could be it because there were probably tens of thousands of very tall skyscraper buildings and the population of Osan is only 120,000 according to Wikipedia HERE. I think we were coming in from the south but not sure of the approach.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Korea is like that everywhere. Those are just apartments. That's what everyone's moving into these days. If not just a run of the mill cluster of 20 or so buildings next to another cluster of 20 or so buildings (everywhere), then it could be a place where they're reclaiming land and building a city in the sea, such as they did with Song-do. They're always building out to sea, creating something out of nothing.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I found this site, will it help locate the area Lee saw from the air? http://www.nicehousing.com/Looks like high rise living in S Korea is pretty expensive!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Sorry Art.... that's all downtown Seoul. Gangnam, especially, is where the rich people live. It's commonplace to see Ferraris driving down the street there. Lee's probably talking about some place on the outskirts of one of Seoul's satellite cities, not even an outskirt of Seoul, itself. People are buying further and further from Seoul in hopes that construction projects will render the property some kind of value it currently doesn't have. Many Koreans I talked to are actually worried about a housing bubble blowing up and destroying everything they've worked hard for. At the same time, 'if you build it, they will come,' is how they plan and usually what works. I have to say the high rises in Hong Kong are taller and thinner, giving them a more impressive image building-4-building wise, but Korea has a consistent base of 20+ floor apartments all over the country, even in the countryside, where you'd expect them to just own individual houses. Weird.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Sorry Art.... that's all downtown Seoul. Gangnam, especially, is where the rich people live. It's commonplace to see Ferraris driving down the street there. Lee's probably talking about some place on the outskirts of one of Seoul's satellite cities, not even an outskirt of Seoul, itself. People are buying further and further from Seoul in hopes that construction projects will render the property some kind of value it currently doesn't have. Many Koreans I talked to are actually worried about a housing bubble blowing up and destroying everything they've worked hard for. At the same time, 'if you build it, they will come,' is how they plan and usually what works. I have to say the high rises in Hong Kong are taller and thinner, giving them a more impressive image building-4-building wise, but Korea has a consistent base of 20+ floor apartments all over the country, even in the countryside, where you'd expect them to just own individual houses. Weird.
th_thholysheep.gif That was only downtown? Ferraris too! Weird alright! Scary when their bubble will burst! SugarwareZ-034.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Thanks Jake but I do not think that could be it because there were probably tens of thousands of very tall skyscraper buildings and the population of Osan is only 120,000 according to Wikipedia HERE. I think we were coming in from the south but not sure of the approach.
Possibly Busan?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busan

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Possibly Busan?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busanhttp://english.busan.go.kr/06_residents/01_01.jsp