New Airport System Would Scan Iris, Save Time

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I guess they have to do something to bring back travelers to the fold. 20 foot tunnels ohmy.gif what about people who are claustrophobic? ohmy.gif Hope the tunnels have aircon, nice music and maybe some nice painted murals. biggrin.gif SINGAPORE (AP) - An industry group has unveiled plans for an airport security system intended to sharply reduce check-in time.The International Air Transport Association said at its annual meeting Tuesday that the new system would feature iris scanners to match a passenger's eye to his passport and information chips inside passports to identify passengers who might pose a security risk.Travelers would pass through one of three 20-foot tunnels and be subject to different degrees of searches depending on the level of security risk.The system should be in place within five years.Airlines are seeking ways to win back passengers put off by long and irritating airport security measures.Link to this story

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
I guess they have to do something to bring back travelers to the fold. 20 foot tunnels ohmy.gif what about people who are claustrophobic? ohmy.gif Hope the tunnels have aircon, nice music and maybe some nice painted murals. biggrin.gif SINGAPORE (AP) - An industry group has unveiled plans for an airport security system intended to sharply reduce check-in time.The International Air Transport Association said at its annual meeting Tuesday that the new system would feature iris scanners to match a passenger's eye to his passport and information chips inside passports to identify passengers who might pose a security risk.Travelers would pass through one of three 20-foot tunnels and be subject to different degrees of searches depending on the level of security risk.The system should be in place within five years.Airlines are seeking ways to win back passengers put off by long and irritating airport security measures.Link to this story
Fine by me, anything that helps move things along quicker is great. Make it a conveyor belt with a chair, provide a quick free San Magoo and they would have people lining up voluntarily! I have been lucky in my life to have only a few incidents of standing in lines for searches etc. and in general have had no difficulties with airports. I am also not one who complains about ID cards, or scans on my body etc. If you have nothing to hide, why reject it! I'm not into all this about infringement of personal rights etc etc. Like I said those who have nothing to hide, don't need to worry, besides, what don't they already know about us? Once you are born, that is it, you are part of the system, they know much more than you think anyway.Papa Carl

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
ohmy.gif what about people who are claustrophobic? ohmy.gif
Wouldn't you say a plane is a rather small place if you were claustrophobic? 89.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
ohmy.gif what about people who are claustrophobic? ohmy.gif
Wouldn't you say a plane is a rather small place if you were claustrophobic? 89.gif
Actually I believe seriously claustrophobic people also have problems in planes but a plane is usually much longer than 20 feet and also pretty wide, unless it is a small prop job, so most mildly claustrophobic people can deal with it, although I doubt they can deal with the bathrooms on planes. It should be interesting to see what happens and how wide and tall they make the tunnels, since people nowadays seem to complain about everything, so I am sure claustrophobic people will complain about that, if the tunnel is not made wide, and therefore refuse to enter the tunnel of tests.