Philippines, Visiting Another Expats Home

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This is a serious question that I have always wondered about. What is expected when you visit another expats (who is married to or living with a Filipina) home or go to a party given by them, because of the mixed culture. I am often lost in many things because I worked most of my life, thus depended on my former wife to deal with issues of sending cards for special occasions, what to bring with us when visiting etc, so having been invited to some homes and parties of mixed couples, I find that I was wrong to bring to some, and wrong not to bring to others and have gotten admonished both ways. So guys and gals, what do you think is the correct thing to do. For me I think maybe I will limit what we do in the future because I am finding out more and more that I do not have social skills, so maybe being a hermit might be the answer for me, but that would not be fair to my wife.

piglett
Posted
Posted
This is a serious question that I have always wondered about. What is expected when you visit another expats (who is married to or living with a Filipina) home or go to a party given by them, because of the mixed culture. I am often lost in many things because I worked most of my life, thus depended on my former wife to deal with issues of sending cards for special occasions, what to bring with us when visiting etc, so having been invited to some homes and parties of mixed couples, I find that I was wrong to bring to some, and wrong not to bring to others and have gotten admonished both ways. So guys and gals, what do you think is the correct thing to do. For me I think maybe I will limit what we do in the future because I am finding out more and more that I do not have social skills, so maybe being a hermit might be the answer for me, but that would not be fair to my wife.
bring a 6pack of beer if there is to only be a few guests , if there are many bring a 12 pack .....how could you go wrong ??? :unsure: :) :)piglett

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

It truly depends on the lifestyle of the expat couple who invited you and how many people are attending and what the occasion is for! You wouldn’t want to show up at their doors steps in shorts, tank top, flip flops with a cheap bottle of gin and Filipino finger food when everybody else is dressed in semi-formal attire would you? It's all about doing as the Jones would do or not, if not and you feel uncomfortable, just kindly refuse making up any story for that day! Usually the wives are good at exchanging information before the party as to what would be appropriate to bring or not to bring, like whenever one setups a pot luck dinner with family, friends and neighbors, everyone knows what to bring in advance! Works for us and even if the expat couple are new to the neighborhood or not! It's also too about feeling the vibes of the new expat couple you have just met! First impressions do leave a mark at one's first meeting, but sometimes, one can not judge a book by it's cover! Then if that's the case, one plays it by ear and just go for it and be on time for their first invitation! I don't believe in Filipino time, it's rude! Anyway, people who comes late to any occasion, they don't eat, but food scraps and just water to drink, because all the good stuff would be all gone!

Edited by Art2ro

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Depends on the occasion. If you personaly has been invited ask the one who invites you what is it about. Just a social gathering of guys together with their wives/kids...bring a cakeA dinner with some drinks, bring a 6-12 pack of beer or a bottle of nice wine or a bottle of spirit (the mainstream ones whiskey, vodka, rum) and NOT the cheap cheap pinoy version of them such as Bar vodka.A kid's birthday party...obviously a gift for the kidLet's just chit-chat two couples, a bottle of wine.A christening of a new car (i have been invited from a kano to an event as such...) buy him a car wash foam!!!!!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It depends totally on the situation.I once invited a lot of expats and their so's to a party at my house. Most of the group wanted Mexican food and agreed to contribute cash to the purchaser of same. One said that he brought some Tanduay and was not participating in the collection. The collector and the non payer and my wife got into a confrontation. The 2 guests in question left and my wife was cleaning up the broken glass they left behind so who won? Hmmmm.Moral of the story is ask before attending.