Philippines, what time to show up

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

My issues are not what to bring or not to bring. But instead TIME is my problem. If you say 6pm, I am there a bit before. Unless there is a reason (not an excuse) I am rarely late for any thing that had a time attached to it. Here is south Florida, we have what is know as 'latin time' or 'island time' because 'those cultures' while able to tell time, have SUCH a problem keeping to a schedule that it has become a wide spread joke. If you say dinner at 6, it really means much later and if you show up at 6, you will be the only one there. How 'punctual' are the Pinoys??? What is expected for business (shorts and 'slippers' seem to be ok in a business environment already) and on a social calendar? I really miss the Krauts...... I Hey! I am one! So I can keep to a schedule.....

Edited by Kuya Lee
split from another topic

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

How 'punctual' are the Pinoys??? What is expected for business (shorts and 'slippers' seem to be ok in a business environment already) and on a social calendar?
In my experience, it is polite to show up late to a social occasion (filipino time) so as not to embarrass the host who may be running behind schedule. Business appointments are usually closer to on time although traffic and other things make that hard. A businessman or politician coming to a social occasion will try to be the last to arrive according to his prominence in society, as if to show he is a very busy man who is gracing you with his presence.As to what to wear. For business and invited social occasions it is common to wear long pants and shirts which are not sleeveless, at a minimum, as these are times to dress up.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
How 'punctual' are the Pinoys??? What is expected for business (shorts and 'slippers' seem to be ok in a business environment already) and on a social calendar?
In my experience, it is polite to show up late to a social occasion (filipino time) so as not to embarrass the host who may be running behind schedule. Business appointments are usually closer to on time although traffic and other things make that hard. A businessman or politician coming to a social occasion will try to be the last to arrive according to his prominence in society, as if to show he is a very busy man who is gracing you with his presence. As to what to wear. For business and invited social occasions it is common to wear long pants and shirts which are not sleeveless, at a minimum, as these are times to dress up.
Yup! Latin time........

• 1 month later...
Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted
My issues are not what to bring or not to bring. But instead TIME is my problem. If you say 6pm, I am there a bit before. Unless there is a reason (not an excuse) I am rarely late for any thing that had a time attached to it. Here is south Florida, we have what is know as 'latin time' or 'island time' because 'those cultures' while able to tell time, have SUCH a problem keeping to a schedule that it has become a wide spread joke. If you say dinner at 6, it really means much later and if you show up at 6, you will be the only one there. How 'punctual' are the Pinoys??? What is expected for business (shorts and 'slippers' seem to be ok in a business environment already) and on a social calendar? I really miss the Krauts...... I Hey! I am one! So I can keep to a schedule.....
What? You haven't heard that being late is fashionable? Or when in Rome, do like the Romans do? :)A fellow Texan.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I have a no long pants policy. If I have to wear long pants, I don't want to go.However, I have a "business" barong and If I have a specific business appointment, I will be wearing my barong, black pants and black shoes. It is a respect thing. I have noticed that some Filipinos who would not normally wear shorts, will wear shorts when coming to visit me. If a foreigner invites me to a function or if I invite a foreigner to a function, I clarify if they mean real time or Filipino time.If I want a Filipino to be on time, I will tell them to arrive an hour earlier than the actual start time for an event.Regards: Jim