Powdered Milk

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Being a coffee addict, and one who must have milk in his coffee, just wondering if anyone has tried Alaska Powdered Milk?Fresh milk is often too hard to find and i don't like the creamer powders like "coffee mate". I always remember powdered milk from when i was a kid and how much i hated it. Has it improved any?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Being a coffee addict, and one who must have milk in his coffee, just wondering if anyone has tried Alaska Powdered Milk?Fresh milk is often too hard to find and i don't like the creamer powders like "coffee mate". I always remember powdered milk from when i was a kid and how much i hated it. Has it improved any?
Our children drink it during our visits. I would think it would be fine as long as you were to buy it from a well established outlet. If there were any chance the milk product were to be of Chinese origin it would be best to avoid it.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I prefer breast milk mocking.gif and only Coffee Mate in my coffee or hot tea! But seriously, watch out for those counterfeit powered milk out there, like Old55 mentioned from China or even the local Filipino brands, but I don't know which brands! If the labeling looks suspicious, maybe then it's a fake! Good luck!

Bundy
Posted
Posted

From researching i believe the ingredients for the Alaska brand come from Australia so that leads me to believe it must be ok. I'm more concerned with the taste of it at the moment.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
A friend of ours in CDO turned me on to Anlene Powdered milk and I use that in my coffee all the time while we are in the Philippines, and because I am older, I use the Gold version of it and mix it a little less water than they have in the instructions. Not as good as US milk IMO but it is pretty good.

Bundy
Posted
Posted
A friend of ours in CDO turned me on to Anlene Powdered milk and I use that in my coffee all the time while we are in the Philippines, and because I am older, I use the Gold version of it and mix it a little less water than they have in the instructions. Not as good as US milk IMO but it is pretty good.
Thanks Kuya,You know, i always thought that the Anlene stuff was for people with bone problems ( calcium deficiencies ) and so forth. Ok i'll give it a try, by the way, i also qualify for the Gold version.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I find all the brands of powdered milk to be tasteless and the only place I find them palatable is in my oatmeal. Have you tried this? Its available most places and its what they call Fresh Milk in the Philippines.a2645-500x500.jpg

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I find all the brands of powdered milk to be tasteless and the only place I find them palatable is in my oatmeal. Have you tried this? Its available most places and its what they call Fresh Milk in the Philippines.a2645-500x500.jpg
I can't see any image Dave, can you let me know what it is please.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It is a brand of milk by Nestle called "Fresh Milk" I would elaborate but my Internet connection is atrocious and I have already tried twice, only to lose the signal.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Cream vs. Non-Dairy Creamerhttp://www.nakedfood...m/real-foods-2/ I’m a big fan of coffee…dark roast and black as can be. I try not to drink it too often, but as a vice, I think it ranks as pretty harmless in small quantities. Lots of people don’t share my love of black coffee, however, prefering a little something to color their coffee brown (if they’d start with good coffee though, they might change their tune). And few people use cream, opting instead for “non-dairy creamer”. Let’s see how these non-dairy alternatives measure up to the real deal.Since the use of cream is pretty much verboten in our society, I’m going to consider it the challenger. So what is cream? Simple…it’s the butterfat layer that comes with real milk. That’s it…just butterfat. It’s about 64% saturated fat (not something I have an issue with of course) and has about 6g of fat per tablespoon, an amount I’d assume is sufficient for a mug of coffee.Now what about the leader of the pack when it comes to flavoring coffee? Let’s look at the ingredient list for Coffee Mate Original, a variety of non-dairy creamer found in many office breakrooms and more than a couple household kitchens.“Corn syrup solids, Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, palm kernel or hydrogenated soybean), sodium caseinate (a milk derivative but not a source of lactose), Dipotassium phosphate, mono- and digycerides, artificial flavor and annatto color.”Okay, so we start off with corn syrup solids, which is corn syrup liquid dehydrated of most of its water. Next up is our good buddy, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, aka trans fats. Here’s the part that boggles my mind though. Coconut and palm kernal oils are both highly saturated, making them already stable at room temperature. Why is there a need to hydrogenate these oils? (Click on http://www.nakedfood...m/real-foods-2/ for more info) Brands involved in tainted milk scandal are sold in Manilahttp://mymikhaela.wo...sold-in-manila/ BFAD, DFA Say: Avoid These Chinese Infant Milk Powder Brandshttp://www.unlawyer.net/?p=1452Melamine Contaminated Food Listhttp://www.scienceba...-food-list.html