Coke Killing You

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is why the big company's of today are killing us, all greedThe Coca-Cola Company is being sued for making "deceptive and unsubstantiated claims" about its VitaminWater line of beverages, which it touts as healthy alternatives to sodas, lawyers for the plaintiff said on Thursday.Coca-Cola is misleading consumers by using words such as "energy" and "endurance" on VitaminWater bottles and claiming that the drinks reduce the risk of illness and boost health, said the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), which is co-counsel to the San Francisco man who filed the suit in a California court."In fact, according to CSPI nutritionists, the 33 grams of sugar in each bottle of VitaminWater do more to promote obesity, diabetes and other health problems than the vitamins in the drinks do to perform the advertised benefits listed on the bottles," the health advocacy group said in a statement."VitaminWater is Coke's attempt to dress up soda in a physician's white coat. Underneath, it's still sugar water, although sugar water that costs about 10 bucks a gallon," said CSPI litigation director Steve Gardner.Plaintiff James Koh said he used to drink VitaminWater after a workout, thinking he was doing himself good."I was attracted by the prospect of getting extra vitamins, but I had no idea that I was actually getting almost a Coke's worth of sugar and calories," Koh said in a statement."There's no way I would have spent money on that, had I known," he said.VitaminWater sells in the United States for about $US1.50 ($A2.27) for a 20-ounce (590ml) bottle.Twenty-ounce bottles of Coca-Cola, which are sold in vending machines and convenience stores, cost about $US1.40 ($A2.12).

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Didn't he read the label on the side that tells how many grams of sugar are in it?

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Only goes to show there's 20,000 born every minute, lol

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

As that great philosopher WC Fields said. Never give a sucker an even break.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

When you see a label that reads "Only 13g of Sugar", you might just pick one up too! The suit has merits regarding false or misleading advertising, so they are liable I think. But there are not any real damages, which is what this dummy is after.http://ezinearticles.com/?Vitamin-Water---...?&id=707282

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

But what are the total carbs? Was that total correct? You have to read all of the label.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted
But what are the total carbs? Was that total correct? You have to read all of the label.
The 13g touted on the front is for one "8 oz. serving", not per bottle, which is what one might think from the way they did it.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
The 13g touted on the front is for one "8 oz. serving", not per bottle, which is what one might think from the way they did it.
So then he didn't read the label. Sounds like his own fault. Like the guy who gained 300 pounds and blamed McDonalds. His defense "they said it was good for me." Wouldn't you have gotten suspicious when you gained say the first 100 pounds.